Miles v Km

OS didn’t do a full switch until the early 70s iirc, but NATO maps were always metric…

So, yep, worked in lsd and imperial for navigation as a cub and scout :slight_smile:

Run marathons in miles but train and tri in km. Swam in yards…early bike odometers in miles.

Using miles in TP confuses it.

Why does using miles in TP confuse it? I always have.

Pretty much Km’s all the way for me, can’t get my head round splits for miles even on the bike. Pretty much went metric about a year or so after starting doing tri’s & running etc., it’s just so much easier to work with and convert.

Can just about convert between the two for distance but not pace. And bike TT’s are basically 16K, 40K, 80k, 160K + a little bit! My Garmin autolaps at 10K so if I lap at 15 minutes I’m on for sub 60 etc. with a sprint finish.

On car journeys other than checking the speedo I work more off time for a journey these days. I’d also prefer it if they got switched to K’s, even if it was a progressive change.

3 Likes

it interferes with other sessions…hard to pin point when this is likely, but it is a pain when it does…

Even the US army use kilometres and the metric system as a whole, it’s what they mean when they talk about clicks.

I mix and match. I have my Edge set to MPH as that’s how I know how fast I’m going at a glance but have ascent and Strava in general set to KM.

I always plan my cycling routes depending how many times it can be divided by 15 as no matter the elevation profile, I always seem to stick at 15mph. I suppose I like the kilometers on Strava as it makes me look like I’ve done more :smile:

On my watch, I have the distance set to miles but my running pace at mins per km.

Ultimately, I suppose its whatever works for you.

Good luck with that, we aren’t gonna be using those pesky EU units any time soon.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s the problem isn’t it, despite it being taught in schools for years.

And a lot of things we buy are generally measured in metric these days aren’t they?

I have my car odometers set to Km. when my Kuga needed it’s MOT, the service check sheet showed the odo reading in KM, but the stupid technician when filling in the MOT form for DVSA recorded it as miles. this was only picked up when we went to sell the vehicle and someone asked what the mileage was - we told them and they checked with DVSA to find a much higher reading which was obvs the KM reading. we asked DVSA to change this but too late - outside the 30 day window of the MOT date. anyhoo, dealer who eventually bought it understood the error. apparently it’s not an uncommon one.

be warned if you have your odo set to km - check the MOT sheet to make sure it’s recorded correctly as km not miles

2 Likes

Yes. So few people have their cars set to kms that the bloody techs see a number and don’t even question it

1 Like

how many people check their MOT cert?? as long as it says “Passed” I bet most you don’t. I know we didn’t at the time.

Bring back the fluid ounce! :+1::rofl:

Save the cubit! :rofl:

Most of the people who want to go back to the good old days will be dead in the next 10-20 years.

^^ see Brexit.

I’ve also used kms. Handy tip someone mentioned to me. The miles to km ratio (1.609) is similar to the golden ratio (1.618) so you can get approximate conversions using fibonacci sequence.

• 3 miles : 5 km
  • 5 miles : 8 km
  • 13 miles : 21 km
  • 21 miles : 34 km
1 Like

Brexit has nothing to with me preferring the metric system. Australia is metric, so that’s what I use, there is no correlation for between EU and metric.

We always use the term ‘clicks’ for kms. I don’t know anyone that doesnt over there.

Unless you are fully aware of the interchangeability of a 13mm and 1/2", you’ve not lived.

5 Likes

I did think of one thing I haven’t converted over to. Tyre pressure, I still default to psi.

2 Likes

BAR all the way!

1 Like

someone mention sheep?? :slight_smile:

I know. I’m a late adopter!