More DIY & Gardening numptiness

Cosmos can grow very very tall so you might need to stake them to stop them flopping over. Hydrangeas look fine but those would really flourish better in the ground.

1 Like

Thanks FB, yeah I think a transplant might be in order. I’m thinking of digging up my tulip bulbs, I don’t think they are in the best place for the sun in spring. Might put hydrangeas in the tulip bed and then keep the planters for tulips in spring?

I like planters but it’s a faff re-potting every year with annuals.

1 Like

I find the common winter hardy hibiscus grow well in pots and survive the winter with some protection.

1 Like

Not a bad idea. Just make sure you keep space between the hydrangeas as they will want to grow large when they have a freer root run, but you should then get a better show. Leave the planting until autumn when the leaves have started to die back, but before winter dormancy sets in. Leave them over winter and then prune all the old stems off back to ground level in early spring (February maybe) and new shoots will start soon after.

1 Like

@Annas the garden design plans have arrived - photos below

house in the background - current excavation in bottom right (nearly finished!)

11 Likes

Nice! Very Mediterranean.

at the mo with the heatwave, yes - winter in the Beacons, maybe not!

3 Likes

Looks lovely @fatbuddha, easy to maintain but still natural looking :blush:

1 Like

Started doing some work in the garden. Want to finish the kitchen bit. Got a bbq and pizza oven ti go there.

Realised it was pointless. Its very hot out and next few days its going to be to bloody hot nect few days to use it anyway

2 Likes

2hrs in

5 Likes

today’s warm job - power wash newly laid slabs, clear sides up, and lay bark chippings. the chippings are just to make it look better while we focus on other parts of the garden - we’ll return to it later when we have a better idea what to do there.

7 Likes

Took my parents to a “yellow book” open garden today. Friends of friends own the property. It was exceptionally lovely and peaceful. But goodness me I am not sure I could ever invest that much time and money. It really is a labour of love and grateful they have an open garden occasionally.

5 Likes

gardening is a true labour of love. you either hate it or love it and the end result depends on how much you are prepared to invest emotionally and financially in it. we love it but don’t want it to rule our lives as the last (very large) garden was.

1 Like

Can you tell which category I fall into.

Te be fair this is working progress as we removed a lot of crap and are waiting for better weather to turf.

I did try getting the strimmer on it earlier but it kept cutting out. Think air is is getting into the fuel somehow.

6 Likes

It’s a blank canvas👍

1 Like

Labour of love/hate for me.

Love gardening, hate the amount of time it needs.

A bit like Ironman, I know what I need to do, I just don’t have the time, budget and consistency to do it. Particularly with new job, if only I could afford a gardener and a landscaper, it would be fucking amazing.

7 Likes

Christ on a bike F&B paint is expensive. £55 for 2.5L in B&Q. I’m going to paint the whole room with a coat of brilliance white before I dip into the F&B and pray it stretches to 2 coats.

probably cheaper if you buy direct from F&B. we’ve always gone with Little Greene as the colour choice is similar but it comes out less pricey than F&B.

1 Like

I never thought to go direct doh.

1 Like

Greenhouse now at 41C. Time to empty a watering can on the floor.

5 Likes