More DIY & Gardening numptiness

WHOA! Your screwdrivers are not uniformly arranged by length :astonished:

5 Likes

Ok so Little One’s room was skimmed last week. 3rd bedroom ceiling was meant to be done last week but the guy’s van blew its engine. So I had to wait and in the meantime, we decided to get the whole 3rd bedroom skimmed which was done today but too lazy to take pic. Decorating starts next Wed.

1 Like

I remember you saying about painting things onto the wall?
Did you mean like this?

1 Like

Yeah that kind of thing (butterflies in my case). That looks great, was it done with stencils?

DISCLAIMER: We didn’t do it, it’s in the house we just bought.

It’s mostly hand painted, with some sticker-type things, too (like the monkey on the jungle leaves)

When I was a child, a friend had theirs done using an overhead projector.
You trace what you want onto the OHP sheet with the special pens, project it onto the wall, use a pencil to do the outline on the wall, then paint it.
Good luck!

We are just thinking it’s going to be a nightmare to get off and paint over, as the colours are so dark.
It’s in three of the bedrooms, too :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Stickers have to be the way forward surely? They’re cheap and easily accessible these days, plus they’ll be many times easier to put on (and off)
We went for this…

1 Like

OH MAN!!!

You are taking the radiator back off to paint, right???

No. We had our radiator removed in our room and replaced the horrible old one with Stelrad Concorde (which is the same as you see in Little One’s room). At the time, we had no short term plan to change our daughter’s room, so we had a new radiator in there as well. It’s been skimmed behind as far as he can reach and I will use a radiator roller to get behind. It won’t show but I need to be careful.

The 3rd bedroom is just the ‘3rd bedroom’ and that rad won’t be changed but because it’s single skin, it’s very easy to get behind.

we had a new Megaflo system put in last year and draining down is such a ball ache, I’ll wait until summer and when we can remove the remaining ones downstairs that need changing.

What I can say is: don’t buy Drayton TRV4s, they are a nightmare to balance and you need a special key.

1 Like

Good timing mate. A work colleague just said exactly the same thing, as kids tastes change, you can just change the sticker. :+1:

Define cheap. My daughter got a pack of gold circle stickers, and when I went to the till they were £16.

… i was guessing.

A few years ago things like this (big, wall stickers) weren’t very popular or common, whereas they’re everywhere now. I was applying basic supply and demand principles along with the improvements and accessibility of the relevant tech to my assumption.

Surely still cheaper than hours spent trying to paint a picture of a monkey!! haha

Surely better to get your little kid to do it, and you’ll also have the bonus of no chance of them taking any other teenage oiks up to their room once they hit the teenage years out of pure embarrassment…

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve been going to Smiggle. ?

Smiggle; what a place :sweat_smile:

No, this was some fancy shop in Nailsworth; I should have known nothing would be ‘cheap’.

Mist coat in 3rd bedroom done. Got a slight problem though. Bloody window in the corner is letting water onto the wall. The sill is a bit rotten there and now we know why. I slapped a load of sealant on the outside but the patch is getting worse. I guess the lining paper hid that before. Uggh

It wasn’t any better Sunday morning, worse in fact. I had some rubber window seal in the garage which I bought ages ago, so I replaced the bottom seal and a little bit up each side, just to see if it is that.

The sealant I put in the corner, seems to be holding (amazing as it was applied during the worst of the wind and rain).

The patch has all but dried up this morning but we had very little rain from mid afternoon to this morning, so I don’t know if it has dried because it hasn’t rained, or if I’ve actually fixed it!

Need it to rain again first (can’t believe I’ve said that!)

1 Like

Hosepipe itp

It might come to that. I have a feeling it was the strong wind and the direction of same that was driving it at the ‘perfect’ angle. I’m pretty sure I’ve fixed the window seal, it’s just a case of figuring out how it was getting into the house.

grrr. On the plus side, this stuff is bloody great!

I’m just finishing off fixing this new handrail onto the stairs - one piece of 130 x 30mm planed oak supplied by a local joinery (and cheaper than buying from a timber merchants), which I had to cut to size and get the angles right (eeek!) with a solid handrail made for us by a local forge. between them they weigh a fair bit so I had to ensure the oak was fixed solidly to the wall. typical of an old property dating back to the late C18th, the wall is not flat and is a mix of solid block and plaster for about 2/3rds at the bottom, to stud at the top so I had to use a mix of fixings - plugs for the blocks and metal toggles for the stud. luckily the wall isn’t too out of true so the fixings have pulled the timber to shape with just a couple of narrow gaps we can live with.

what was there before was a mess of 2 pieces of cheap pine - one for the block, one for the stud - and a skanky rope rail.

total cost - £160 plus a few fixings. and it looks the bollocks! just a bit of tidying up to do to sand down the oak plugs hiding the screw heads, and give the timber another coat of beeswax. we’ve also stripped the old caulk out of the stairs abutting the wall and in the process of replacing and painting.

a fiddly little job but great pleasure doing it

7 Likes

Looks great mate. :+1:

1 Like