New bike Day?

I would agree that the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX (which is the stiffest Canyon) is not as stiff as the Tarmac. As a result, the Canyon is more comfortable, however, you can feel the lack of stiffness in the handling. I am not saying that the Canyon is bad handling bike. The Cervelo R5 on the other hand is stiffer than the Tarmac, as a result it can be unsettled by bumps on descents, however, I think that the R5 may have slight edge on the climbs

Yeah, totally! That’s why I quoted it as “feels”
Like the magic shoes isn’t it?

I “felt” the Next% weren’t as quick, so sent them back and stuck with the 4%.

Gotta get that “feel” when you’re shelling out the dollar

2 Likes

cos it’s all placebo anyway

:wink:

2 Likes

Further to my comments on the S-Works SL6 Disc. Yesterday I ran over some glass, at the end of our road, on my commuting bike and got a puncture. So swapped bike and went to work on the SL6.

On the way home I was genuinely surprised just how fast this bike is. It’s a route I have ridden almost 200 times over the past 3 years, I know the road like the back of my hand. The bike doesn’t feel especially fast, however, glance at the cycle computer tells a completely different story. Despite carrying a rucksack with my computer, and wearing warm, non aero clothes, I took 45s off my PR… which I set a year ago, riding my TT bike with aero helmet and aero tri suit. Admittedly it’s not a perfect TT bike route, but 20km out of 34km are on the open road, so TT bike should be quicker. Some of the speed is down to my fitness, my AP was 277w (vs 245w on previous PB).

The SL6 is a strange bike, the actual speed seems to be signiicantly quicker than the perceived effort and perceived speed.

1 Like

Question is, do you want a bike to be fast or feel fast?

New bike, no mini pump needed

1 Like

Just ordered a new Reynolds Steel gravel bike from Ribble for a planned ride on the King Alfred Way in May next year with my daughter… 2 month lead time!

7 Likes

That is a beauty!!!

Just as a word of warning, thoroughly check the build before you head out for your first ride.

I picked my TT bike up at their factory near Preston last year, they assured me no assembly is required.

Good job my mate, a bike mechanic, checked it over. Whole cassette would have come off a few miles down the road and handlebars missing some key equipment meaning they too may have come off.

My road bike (R872) from them has been perfect from day one, and i’ve done more than 10k miles on it now… but i’ll heed your warning and check it carefully.

On the flip side, I got a Merida MTB from another well known retailer, and the front forks were on backwards!!!

1 Like

Had exactly the same experience back in July. I ordered an R872 and waited 3 months for it in summer as an insurance replacement after my garage got burgled.

I’m a part time.mechanic and asked if they could just send me the bits and I’d set it all up myself to save a couple of weeks. They declined and sent the thing out “built.”

It had pretty much been thrown together. The gears were not indexed, having to shift up 3 times before the chain would start to move, the plastic spoke protector behind the cassette was horrendous looking and massively off centre despite being tight on the spokes, the hydraulic brakes were full of air and hit the handlebars before giving any kind of braking efficiency and the rear inner tube was twisted within the wheel giving a nice flat spot.

I get that they were extremely busy at that time but there’s no excuse for them just throwing it together like that.

The bike its self is very good though I was coming from a 16 year old Trek 1500 SLR.

1 Like

I would hope if you buy this thing that it’s setup properly…

2 Likes

Booooo

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-21/canyon-bicycles-said-to-draw-takeover-interest-from-carlyle-kkr

Agreed. A PE firm is likely just going to look at the relative RRP’s of the other major bike brands and want to capitalise on that extra conceptual margin, which would be totally ignoring the USP that has got Canyon to where it is

2 Likes

I’ve had experience of a KKR funded MBO… they usually want an exit within a shortish period, so expect more soon.

1 Like

Free delivery, though.

Not quite new but new to me. Ridley Kanza A. Arrived yesterday; first test ride today.
Good, I think. Felt pretty fast on the road despite 47 mm gravel tyres. Nothing would have been predictable on the semi-frozen rutted mud I found but other off-road bits were fine. Needs a small amount of fettling. It’s feels a bit long but the saddle can go forward and if that doesn’t sort it then the stem can go shorter. I’ve never had to shorten a bike before - normally need to lengthen them. Cables look too long as well but might ask the bike shop what they think.
SRAM shifter is a bit weird but was getting the hang of it after an hour or so.
Think I maybe prefer my existing road bike bars, but that’s an easy enough swap.
The intention is to give away my road bike (which my wife bought 15 years ago for £300 new) and the beat up hybrid I use off-road, and just have this with a set of road wheels and a set of off-road wheels. So technically it’s n-1 although for now we’re a bike hanger short.
Sorry it’s like an anti-bike-vault photo.

And after (but I did clean it):

9 Likes