New bike? (Procrastinating thread #3)

Go for the Giant. Frame 1st, then groupset and replace the wheels with super groovy 2nd hand ones.
Or just by a 2nd hand rim brake bike at incredible bargain prices.

3 Likes

I voted propel, itā€™s good value for money and I like the look of them.

1 Like
3 Likes

Iā€™ve had cheap bikes, so no appeal.

1 Like

fairy nuff but if anyone is looking for a decent cheap commuter, seems pretty decent. Looks like have upgraded to 105 too since we bought them for the boys, think they had Sora.

4 Likes

Ride quality can be ā€˜sortedā€™ with chubby good quality road tyres; especially if you CBA with latex tubes.

2 Likes

As a winter bike and still cost friendly especially for the more limited c2w schemes it is a bargain

They mention that in the article, although the chainset is some ā€œin houseā€ alloy special and Iā€™d also wager the cassette and chain are too.

However, it still looks like a damn fine bike for commuting :heart_eyes::white_check_mark:

Rack mounts, guard mounts and 105 - what more do you need? Wellā€¦Iā€™d class gears as an absolute luxury for commuting, you only need a 48x17 and youā€™re sorted.

The fact that this bike is Ā£900 and the nearest branded competitor is Ā£300 with Sora, too, is madness :crazy_face:

I paid Ā£1,234 for my Ribble 725SL Endurance back in April 2019 :exploding_head: and that included a Ā£150 wheel upgrade, Ā£40 tyre upgrade and Ā£45 mudguards - meaning the bike was only Ā£999 :exploding_head:
Itā€™s a fantastic bike and a joy to ride. Just wish Iā€™d got it in blue/copper instead of another winter bike in white :joy::boom::boxing_glove:

5 Likes

My commuter is fine, bikes through SE Londons Finest Potholes with aplomb.

Put the rack and panniers on last weekend

6 Likes

good to have a snack on that commute :+1::peach:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a cute bike, nice discount on those child sized ones, too :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got the Trek Emonda ALR 6 myself and itā€™s the best bike I have ever had. Worth every penny!

3 Likes

So Iā€™m finally pulling the trigger and submitted my benefits update yesterday. Stupidly, Iā€™d thought Iā€™d get my voucher straight awayā€¦:roll_eyes: no idea how long it will take.

Thereā€™s a discount on Tarmac SL6 (105 group) and a discounted base Diverge (Claris) as well Iā€™ve lined up.

A bike I can trash off road and a bike I can really motor on road.

6 Likes

Got an email saying I wonā€™t see my voucher until MAY worst of all times to buy a bike.

So I now have another month of fucking around trying to decide what I want.

:grin:

Almost all my outdoor riding is on a commute. Iā€™ve done two club rides in the last 12 months. Hoping to do another next weekend.

I have my Argon 18 tri bike so races are sorted.

Iā€™m gravel-curious. Iā€™d like some off-road on my commute to avoid potholes and have fun.

My plan was Ā£2.2K tarmac sl6 basic and Ā£0.7K diverge basic. The diverge Iā€™d use for 2/week spring/summer commuting and local solo trail rides. The tarmac for spring/summer weekend 3-4hr blasts.

Have I got this the wrong way around, get a cheap Allez sprint for the weekend blast and spend a few K on the gravel bike Iā€™ll use more often?

Or convert my tourer to gravel for the summer and spend more on a weekend race bike? Four bikes feels too much clutter. If only I could use my tri bike at the weekends.

3 Likes

Spend the most on the bike youā€™ll use the most I would say.

Can you use the tourer for commute?

Spend the rest on a Diverge Carbon and a second set of road wheels/tyres?

Weekend blasts should be Argon 18 surely?

1 Like

Yeah it typically has to wait until the next payroll cycle then add another 2 weeks for the providerā€™s admin. 5 weeks for my voucher this year.

2 Likes

Itā€™s too hilly and busy on the London borders to enjoy riding a tri bike.

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

What about 3t Exploro racemax? Get a cheap wheel set to run your gravel tyres on and use a better set of carbon hoops for road. 1 bike for both, will allow you to get a better groupset.

1 Like

This is top of the list at the moment. Found one in store with a heavy discount, tried it on the rollers, fits well. Felt good ramping up the power. Not the same as getting it out on the road though.

Edit: Anyone know the difference between 23 and 24? Cant find anything online except the SL version.

2 Likes