New tubs

I’ve had it in the sink this morning, as it was practically flat after an overnight sleep, where I found ZERO air bubbles escaping???

I’ve now pumped it up unmounted, where I’ll check it throughout the day.

As I’ve got to pay to return it (£4 P&P), think I’ll give it a blast of PitStop or something first (they won’t be able to tell from a visual inspection)

1 Like

Will they refund or send another ?!

Butyl tubes, and you’re calling Mungo a heathen :wink::sweat_smile:

I’ve always found Vittorias to lose more air than other brands, but nothing like you describe. Maybe 20psi overnight at most (latex).

The man said similar to you…!
Had a real boxing weekend … with the big fight last night

I’ll phone the shop tomorrow …!?

Hopefully not gone down toooo much ?!

Yeah - these are the special triathlon ones, so you know.
I’d rather have the confidence in no air escaping and a little more puncture protection, than a silky smooth Crr.

Anyhow…the tyre (after a quick blast of PitStop) is no longer losing any air - it’s still rock hard this morning.
It can finally be mounted, put back into the wheel bag and stored until April :smiley:

Just got to wrestle the training tubs off the 50mm wheels now, to put the old nicer tubs that came off the 82/101 set.

1 Like

Planet X wheels…!?

Don’t they kill you or something …!

My mates got an exo 3 and he has had zero problems with it in two years…

But the wheels have a bad rep…!?

I’ll find out about my special “ tri “ tubs today…!

Well, @Hammerer said people call them “Planet Flex” and PoS (Piece of Sh**)

But, at the level we’re at, I haven’t noticed.
Nor have I tried any other wheels, so better the devil you know!

I am still alive and have some 5:20 bike splits to my name.

My current bike is a second hand £400 ExoII, I got the 50s for free (bought a 10 speed PX SL Pro Carbon for £400 with them when I was getting back into cycling, then sold the bike with some RS10 wheels for £400)
My 10 speed 82/101 wheelset cost me £190 with Mavic padded wheel bags, a Continental Competition Tubular and a Vittoria Corsa Evo CX one.

1 Like

Butyl typically gives less puncture protection, although obviously it depends on the types and thickness of everything involved, but that same suppleness of latex that gives lower resistance also improves resistance against many puncturing things.

2 Likes

Cheers for that :smiley:
Counter-intuitive…I believe the Vittoria Corsa Triathlon offers better puncture protection than the standard G+

“Designed to enhance puncture resistance so that all your training wasn’t in vain…”

(From the Vittoria spiel, I can’t find any actual tests on the tyre)

Oh yeah, it’s completely possible that the individual tubes inside the tubs are more puncture resistant (although it could also just be a more puncture resistant tyre) obviously ultra-thin latex is not going to be as puncture resistant as 5mm of butyl either against many things.

With tubs generally not designed with puncture resistance as a priority, I suspect the overall tyre is considerably more resistant for sure.

The wheels when i got out the saddle would start to rub on the brakes. Im not exactly small though

Yeah, but I’ve had a bit of wheel flex in the past, out of the saddle on hills.

Just buy a disc :grin:

Both tyres holding air…

Pity this offer was only for one size…!

1 Like

It’s a sad state of affairs when people are relieved that their new tyres hold air!

2 Likes