Nike Zoom Fly/Vaporfly 4 and NEXT% - The Thread

So difficult for me to assess really. I ran. No expectations, no pacing strategy, no real plan. No idea how being ill would effect me, but conditions were good and I felt good. Not many quick athletes today though as I finished first! :joy:

First thoughts during warm up. Didnā€™t like them. Loose, funny feeling and my fat feet hanging over the middle as I said earlier. However, once I got racing, I forgot all about everything.

I normally fade on the back half. In the last 2 years Iā€™ve run about 4 parkruns (not training for short stuff) in 1735-1750. I thought I had a chance at sub 17.30 today. I ran 17.05.

Legs just didnā€™t fade like they nornally do. In fact I felt decent. Was it the shoes? I just donā€™t know. I didnā€™t feel fast in them, in fact I have had other shoes Iā€™ve much preferred flying in. But I just didnā€™t tire the same. And my legs were fine after. Itā€™s like I was using less energy for the pace or paying less for it in some way.

I canā€™t rule out the fact that I was over 2kgs lighter after the illness. But I just donā€™t know! Itā€™s got me worried cos it may just be the shoes!

Hmmmm m

1 Like

Damn you all. Dropped Ā£209 today to buy a pair of 4%. If they make the post Ironman recovery just a shade better, they will have been worth the cost.

I should approach Nike for sponsorship amount TTers are spending :joy:

Whoa, did I just see someone pay RRP on those bad boys?

In all seriousness, I donā€™t know if you can get a referral link for nike.com?

When I used Jeffā€™s 15% off code from TT1.0 on my second pair, I also tracked Ā£15.75 in quidco. Yet to be confirmed/payable, but if people here could contribute solid chunks like that to hosting fees, Iā€™d certainly use a referral link in the future.

Full RRP at Nike dot com. Thatā€™s just the way I roll!

Looks like Nike are on Skimlinks. Iā€™ll add it to the affiliates link page but I think whenever you post a review to an item, link to it via wiggle or its own site (if they are on skimlinks) then that should also work. I have embedded ā€œskimlinksā€ into this page via custom HTML, not sure if its fully working though but it used to on TT1.0. I actually got Ā£13 the other day as someone clicked a link to travelodge from some really random and old IMUK thread on TT1.0 and spent Ā£300 on that visit! So whoever that was thatā€™s nearly 3 weeks hosting!

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/vaporfly-4-flyknit-running-shoe-clJ76q

Looks like New Balance will the next brand out with the carbon plates. Their FuelCell 5280 coming out this summer.

(ETA: I didnā€™t know Hoka had one out as well until just now.)

Even the Zoom Fly has a pretty pronounced ā€˜bounceā€™ to it, and Iā€™ve been using my latest pair for what must be 300+km now, they still have the ā€˜magicā€™ property. These shoes seem to reward mid or heel striking, which is pretty handy for the run in a HIM or Ironman!

I have a pretty knackered pair of Zoom Flys that are well over a year old, with a slick forefoot tread and patches of midsole exposed at the toeā€¦and they still have a slight bounce to them, but nothing like my current pair.

These 4% should have me running like Zebedee in Hamburg :crossed_fingers:

link here, newbalance is on skimlinks :wink:

just think if youā€™d have have 4% in Regensburg that year :joy:

2 Likes

If only Iā€™d had a GPS watch then! It was a bit of bad ā€˜on the flyā€™ maths on my part too; forgetting that the finish was about 1km further on from where you started the run out of T2. So 4 laps passing T2 was only about 41km!

I think the bike might have been 181km too :ok_man:

3 Likes

Was going to opt for a 30 day trial of the new Pegasus 35 turbo - looks to be Pegasus version of the Vaporfly with the same lightweight foam until see at end of the review not out til August

Actually, review was from last year :sweat_smile: so anyone tried the Pegasus? Assume itā€™d be a lot more durable to last more than 100km.

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/air-zoom-pegasus-35-running-shoe-kX9NZL/942851-001?nst=0&cp=euns_kw_pla!uk!goo!cssproducts!c!!!302968026946&gclid=Cj0KCQjww47nBRDlARIsAEJ34bmIylB-xAXz4qEYQm7udgVEys4Eo2W016SqAB5J6QUoM-dzgLyCeMQaAvg1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Picked up a pair of Pegasus a couple of weeks back, only done a couple of runs in them so far so jury is still out if I like them!

Another convert!

Admit to being suitably ā€œinfluencedā€ by Stenardā€™s post on the original forum. Glad I was! Three racesā€¦ three PBā€™s. Smashed the doors off sub3 at Manchester, one of primary goals for the year. All of these results tainted in the eyes of many at the running club! These shoes are as good as cheating.

Original intention was to preserve for pure running races. However, Iā€™m now thinking about Rothā€¦ perhaps a once in a lifetime opportunity? Would I regret an opportunity missed more than destroying the soles of Ā£200 shoes along the non-tarmacā€™d canal path? Silly question.

What I really want to ask: experience of what the run surface is like? Hard packed dirt >> loose gravel? Impact on grip / stability? For those using VF4% to set Parkrun PBā€™s - are these mixed terrain?

Elastic laces: whatā€™ve you gone for? Round vs flat elastic? Confident you can get tension right?

1 Like

Iā€™d use them.
My parkrun is not too bad, mainly tarmac paths, but Iā€™m not averse to using them on trails.

I took them out in the wet with the dog off-road - theyā€™re crap for that!

Whatā€™s Ā£195 in the grand scheme of the whole Roth bill?

1 Like

Saw a guy at our club had swapped over to the Vaporflys on his middle rep of 3x1mile on the track last night. His split was 20s quicker for the same heart rate as the previous rep (I looked at his Strava heart rate analysis to see if he was actually running harder). Itā€™s a great test, since it helps lessen impact of conditions and fitness gains since those remain constant.

Would be great to see someone do say 6x1km or 5x2km on the track and alternate between the shoes per rep :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s a lot less canal towpath on the run now, than the old course. But the canal path is ā€˜solidā€™ with some fine gravel on the top, so the 4% should be fine as itā€™s a very uniform surface.

1 Like