Nina Kraft dead

There was a BBC documentary a good few years ago where the guinea pig bought a 10 week EPO course from China, had it checked that it was what he thought he’d paid for. Did a VO2 max while clean having got to his reasonable level of fitness then took the 10 week course and had an increase just under 10% iirc.

I guess if you were a decent level to start with and wanted to go to Kona just the one time it’s almost worth it to get the additional boost to get there, cheaper than legacy route and possibly cheaper than carbon and coaching

Cheers

That shows how long ago my bodybuilding days were !

They probably changed it the same time that cannabis went for B to C … and then back again… I can’t keep up.

Most juice heads believe there legal … and they certainly sell them to each other.

Never heard of anyone being done for possessing small amounts …

There so common in gyms it’s untrue, the kids today just openly talk about injecting as there getting changed … they think it’s normal to take them

Hutch said the same

10% was the figure he was looking at… 10% for him would have seen him out tt ing Rohan Dennis and co.

10%+ for me should see Me very near the top of my age group in every race bar Kona and age group world championships.

If they want to be huge and look in mirrors… there only hurting there livers…

In our game it’s cheating and it’s a bit… sad

This is the one if you’ve an hour to use up on something:

Edit: 20 minutes in to get to the EPO part, prior to that it’s about Allan Wells history

1 Like

Our dog is on tramadol at the moment. Maybe I’ll crunch up one of his tablets with some pro plus and make a pro cycling style “finishing bottle” to get me through my long ride on Sunday :rofl:

2 Likes

You only need to watch the first part of Icarus to see the gains you can make if you are willing to risk your long term health.

Or as the Yanks call it, anti-aging.

2 Likes

This is a great piece from years ago cyclist takes PEDS

1 Like

That’s a great report. I saw it when it first came out. I like the fact that even his eyesight improved :open_mouth:

I knew a couple of cycling/Ironman ex-pros from when I was in London and I heard a few things, apparently much more common than you’d like to believe. Spending £10k on a Kona attempt? Why not make it much much more likely by spending a few hundred extra on the finishing touches gear? Apparently also pretty easy to get hold of and administer. I think there was a cycling journalist who publicly went on a course of PEDs and then wrote an article about how much they improved his performance.

1 Like

Pretty sure in Icarus the guy doped and was shocked to find that he didnt improve.

I got the impression he was improving in the labs and moving up a bit but a couple of mechanicals put him back down in the race?

WADA have clear guidelines on why something is added to the banned list

For a substance or method to be added to the List, it must be determined that it meets at least two of the following three criteria:

1. It has the potential to enhance or enhances sport performance
  2. It represents an actual or potential health risk to the athletes
  3. It violates the spirit of sport
1 Like

It was in Outside magazine

Icarus guy did improve, quite significantly IIRR. His race was a complete failure though.

The most interesting bit for me was later, when he went on Armstrongs podcast.
Armstrong basically laughed at his doping efforts, said he was doing it all wrong with all these different injections, pills etc etc and that it all it boiled down was oxygen in the blood.

1 Like

A friend in Oz, who was an extremely good cyclist (and KQer) volunteered for a program supervised by AIS (Aus Inst Sport) to take EPO over a number of weeks, as they wanted to see they effects and report to ASADA.

He said he couldn’t feel a massive difference in output but his ability to recover and back up day after day was amazing.

The recovery was largely what the Icarus bloke said.

I’ve started reading that article, even your eyesight can improve, WTF :astonished:

Never been tempted myself, no amount of drugs are going to improve me from donkey to racehorse :rofl:

3 Likes

Remember O2 doping is only relevant once you are supply-side limited, which ultimately is almost always the case with fit athletes, however it’s often not the case with unfit athletes or multisport athletes in a particular sport.

If you have plenty of O2, but your muscles can’t use it, having even more O2 doesn’t help.

1 Like

Spirit of the sport is quite open to interpretation though. You could argue expensive shoes and equipment, expensive supplements, etc are not creating a level playing field

They are not risking health though which is key in most things on the list. You need to use common sense as well, supplements how do you test for vit B, vit D, or glucose, protein etc. The shoes were considered to be banned, but its Nike so … dollars.

the purpose of sport is to compete to win, not an equal opportunities exercise…