Novice swimmer qualifies for IMWC

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/familyhealth/student-who-could-not-swim-eight-months-ago-off-to-ironman-world-championships/ar-AA1dpxlg

“A student who only learnt to swim in October is through to the Ironman World Championships.”

:popcorn:

1 Like

She finished the race and went to the roll down with her credit card.

7 Likes

“A student whose wealthy parents paid for her to go to a race that anyone can pay to go to now”

FTFY

4 Likes

If you remove the IMWC bit, the rest of the story is girl recovers from eating disorder and gets fit and healthy. That’s a good news story.

14 Likes

you didn’t expect me to actually have read the story before making disparaging comments

12 Likes

Is swapping an eating disorder for IM training good progression? :roll_eyes::rofl:

5 Likes

Splits were 1:59 / 7:38 / 5:29

Finished top 10 in her age group (7th out of 7). That must be hard swimming for two hours and then having to try and catch up with nutrition on the bike.

Gotta be in it to win it I guess!

3 Likes

That downhill looks steep in the article!

7 Likes

It probably doesn’t help if your bike seat falls off 130km into the bike, causing you to crash :flushed:

1 Like

81 female finishers, 65 Kona slots

7 Likes

Running (walking?) a marathon in Nike METCONs :nauseated_face: Possibly the WORST shoes to run in.

Edit. Pics says thats her training so maybe not.

2 Likes

Really?

This was IM Austria, right? Isn’t that a 2,500 - 3,000 participant race?

Was there really fewer than 100 female finishers?

1 Like

:face_with_peeking_eye: she’s heading to work where I just left. She’s going to love working for that American conglomerate and all its “be the best person you can be” attitude

:zipper_mouth_face: not Blackpool.

5 Likes

She won’t finish Hawaii off that…

5 Likes

It will be a very expensive swim with that time in a calm clear lake wearing a cheatsuit. There’s a lot of work to do , hopefully lots in an ocean without a wetsuit.

4 Likes

not impossible to achieve…a pretty much non swimmer swam the channel in 3 years of training…IM in two…albeit in a wetsuit…and i should add that he worked his socks off…

3 Likes

On the plus side she’ll be nice easy shark bait and the rest of the field can breathe easily :joy:

5 Likes

if she can get her swim down to 2:21 then she’ll get on the highlights programme…

8 Likes

Lady who “qualified” from our club went 1:23:02, 8:35:21, 5:07:10 18/23 in AG

3 Likes

in her qualifier or in Hawaii?