Olympics 2021

Just realised as well Europsport are showing it in UHD and Dolby Surround. Which would be good if there were some actual spectators to hear

Didn’t realise that, previously they’ve shown everything. Just means that the more obscure sports gets fewer viewers which is a shame. When else do we get to see competitive Judo Kata?

Yep.

Lost the rights

Then the golden years are over for British Triathlon too :sweat_smile:

Although everyone was becoming a Taekwondo expert this morning. It’s these sports having their 15 minutes that I enjoy. I think climbing could be another one, even this thing called triathlon might catch on if GB can snatch a medal.

I thought the Olympics was one of those things that the BBC had to retain at all costs?

The highlights show is appaling. So clunky and amateurish. It looks like someone’s YouTube channel

I’ll stay up and watch the Triathlon, for as long as we have someone in contention.

The GB win today seemed to be determined by a weird wrestle in which they sort of wrap legs around each other and heel each other in the back of the head. Didn’t look particularly martial to me…but obviously I’m an ignorant fool.

1 Like

It’s a protected event so has to be free to air somewhere. But not the blanket coverage they had in 2012.

The time difference, and being remote make it difficult to schedule and give an atmosphere. There is also the tendancy of all sports programs these days to concentrate on the personalities more than the sports, which falls down when the people they are highlighting don’t win.

1 Like

How far back does Yee have to be to not be in contention?

I do wonder if they notice Pidcock is going in the MTB tomorrow morning, seems to have been completely forgotten in all the highlighting so far.

Is MvdP in there too? seem to remember seeing it somewhere

yes he is, it’s why he left the tour early… of course with the road race result that might’ve been his mistake.

I’d missed it too. What time is it?

Edit: 7am, that’s breakfast sorted then.

Yeah, I think I’ll will get better as it goes on. A lot of the presenters seem a bit lost. Once they bring Michael Johnson out it will get better. He can talk about paint drying and it will be the sexiest and most interesting thing you’ve ever listened too

1 Like

No-one sliced in half at the start!!!

2 Likes

More luck than judgement :rofl:

Ian Thorpe commentating for Aus TV really helps their swim coverage, having a decent commentator rather than as pundit. Fed up of Jameson and whoever else used to do the BBC commentary.

Likewise cycling was alright with Phil Liggett and Anna Meares.
Didn’t really listen to the tri coverage just then but sounds like couldn’t have been worse than BBC.