Open water swim season starting

There is no way that swim was 13°.
More like 15-16°.
The rain annoyed me, I wasn’t cold.
That descent back to Glenridding was awful, then some tithead had kicked off the carrier bag I’d wrapped my shoes in (maybe the ref? Thinking I’d “marked” my transition with a bright orange Sainsbury’s bag?) and they were soaked …

… having already done the run, I just couldn’t be arsed :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Although the sun came out on the drive home and I was more pissed that Id not finished :face_with_peeking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Probably given I was expecting to struggle, but thought the talk on the day was 13-14.
Always relieved how much difference every 1C makes.

1 Like

can’t add much to what @jeffb has posted. We apply the rules as we see them.

1 Like

I’ve just renewed my open water safety up at Humber…bloody freezing, even in a thermal wetsuit, booted and gloved…

4 Likes

would it be impolite to mention the sea temp here is now 27.3 °C? :beach_umbrella:

10 Likes

But cold water therapy could help your hip!

1 Like

very…

1 Like

ah ok, won’t mention it then. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah but remember its full of sharks.

3 Likes

@mw22 and @explorerJC - have you been to leisure lakes yet this year/month?

Is it warm-ish?

Thinking of heading down Sunday (SUP and Wipeout course) but don’t wanna freeze to death :cold_face:

1 Like

warming up nicely at Spring Lakes…mid teens at present

1 Like

FWIW, the North Dock in Llanelli got to over 20C at the weekend for the races so wetsuits were banned in the Elite races. It was still c18C first thing in the morning but as it’s very shallow it warmed up quickly in the hot sun at the weekend.

3 Likes

FB posts are suggesting 19+; seems a little optimistic. I’ve embraced the full “no swimming” mantra - September was my last swim. Got 2 brand new suits over winter as well :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Is it shallow then?
I thought it was fed by the Trent, so a fresh flow and a bit nippy :man_shrugging:t4::cold_face:

1 Like

Reckon its 12-14ft for the most part. Few of my club have been down and not seen the normal complaints about the cold. Sure you’ll be fine!

2 Likes

SPRING lakes is the giveaway…

2 Likes

at the edge, in the sunlight…

:slight_smile:

1 Like

yep, i got feedback from athletes…

1 Like

3 of my clowns raced in the Super Series on Saturday. They said the ref was a right b@stard :wink:
Seriously all said it was a good event, one missed bike pack unfortunately and had a very lonely ride.

How far was the swim timing mat from exit? All were disappointed with their swims so i tried to use that as an excuse

1 Like

must have been someone else then - there were 5 of us….:wink:

the swim exit timing mat was about 2m after they exit the water

1 Like