Open water swim season starting

What’s the water temp? I’ve not braved the lake here yet

I’m not going to lie, it was fresh.

The swim was in a local, shallow mere & along with wearing my gimp hat & excellent Lomo swim gloves I was banking on the fact that there had been a couple of days of weak sun to help me out.

I always enjoy posting a picture of the location as it never fails to make me grin.

(ETA, pretty pleased with my sighting :grinning:)

13 Likes

Are we all just glossing over the shape of that lake then?

11 Likes

Hard not to.

7 Likes

That’s screaming out for some immature Strava art!

6 Likes

Don’t like the look of those small protuberances at the southern end.

3 Likes

Can you get some cream for them :grimacing:

2 Likes

first swim for aeons…lovely and warm in Mallorca…

8 Likes

Woof, good job. Decent sighting too! My open water swims look like someone testing out a biro

3 Likes

The likeliness is ridiculous - the bellend especially :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

I’ve literally spat out some yoghurt reading that.

And disappointed in myself, frankly. Pride myself on a) spotting phallic shaped objects and b) lowering the tone of this forum with a cock gag.

6 Likes

What’s the rules on water temperature?

Supposed to be doing a standard distance in 2 weeks (1500m swim), the lake is still only at 13C. Took a good 10min to get my face in the water today, and took a bit of time to defrost after getting out.

Not sure I would fancy cycling in a tri suit at 7am.

4 Likes

FB can answer but I thought that is borderline no swim or max distance of around 700m.

You’re going to feel it on the bike unless air temperature is high. Forecast does seem a bit better in the next week so might bring it up a degree or two if it’s shallow.

1 Like

Edit, bit different to what I thought. Formatting isn’t great!

This line is intentionally omitted;
Modifications:
a.) At temperatures below 11°C open water swimming in competition cannot take place. The above temperatures
are based on water temperatures alone and assume that the wind chill factor is negligible. If wind chill is
significant, swim distances may be reduced at higher temperatures.
b.) At the following temperatures, the maximum swim distances are:
Temperature
Maximum Distance Permissible

13°C - 2000M
12°C - 1000M
11°C - 500M
c.) If other weather conditions dictate, i.e., high winds, heavy rain, changing temperature, current, etc. the Event
Organiser in consultation with the Chief Technical Official may adapt limits of the swim length or adopt
provisions about the use of wetsuits. The final decision will be made one hour before the start and will be
clearly communicated to the athletes by the Event Organiser;

2 Likes

I will say that at 13c, 2K would be impossible for me these days in a standard wetsuit, they’d be dragging me out with hypothermia, I’d probably have to DN*

1 Like

The main problem is acclimatising. Both on the day - it took me 10min to get my face in the water today, and open water in general - I wouldn’t be surprised if race day will be the first open water swim of the season for some.

Race starts at 6:30, so even on a good weather day it is going to be cold on the bike. Expect the water temp to increase over the next couple of weeks, but I would be surprised if it gets above 16C.

3 Likes

Big difference between 13C and 16C in comfort so hopefully the next two weeks allows it to warm up.
And can make some quick acclimatisation if you can go another couple times.

I asked the same Q ahead of Helvellyn, which I think was around 13C in 2020 when a lot of us did it, and then had cold/rain on the bike. Know some struggled, but I was pleasantly surprised at how tolerable it was after trying to acclimatise before hand, and having a decent pre-race dip. I think I raced in just my trisuit in the end and left warm clothes in T1.

4 Likes

Yes, Ullswater was cold that day, wouldn’t have wanted to swim any further than we did. I spent a couple of minutes in the lake beforehand which took the edge off the race start. Think @Poet did the same but @jeffb went for a dump instead :rofl:

I wore a perfetto jersey over a trisuit for the rest of the day though.

5 Likes

Yeah edit would be that I assume I must have put my Gabba on over my trisuit too, but don’t really remember that. Either way that was fine with gloves for the bike, and feet warmed up in time for the run

1 Like

You two were probably out of the water quite a bit quicker than me :joy:

Yeah, toilet break was required shortly before. I had big thick gloves on the bike and at least one jacket and had to turn back. Was shaking with cold for nearly 2 hours afterwards while watching the rest of it.

5 Likes