Open water swim season starting

so will account for 10 - 15 seconds as they exit and get to mat over their pool times. Sometimes you need a positive spin on things.

1 Like

i understand there was a false start in one wave with some delay in turning some swimmers back

1 Like

yep. Tier 1 Male superseries event. Starter horn gave a feeble barp which wasnā€™t heard by loads so some went and others didnā€™t so a false start was called. Water crew took far too long to react and some athletes took some time to turn around. One even swam over a SUP who was trying to stop him not realising what the marshall was trying to do!

Restart was done on a whistle rather than risk another air horn problem.

2 Likes

thanks mate

Had an evening dip here after work last night. Someone has turned the hot tap on since I last swam in the sea a few weeks ago

13 Likes

Yes, well, itā€™s alright for someā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

The sea is 31Ā°C now, @funkster probably wouldnā€™t like it. Almost a bit too warm for proper swimming but pleasant for bobbing around after work.

3 Likes

works for meā€¦

my swimming has often been described as just bobbing aroundā€¦

3 Likes

interestingly, above 32C swims are cancelled in World Triathlon events (bar supersprint which gets swim banned above 33C) due to the danger of hyperthermia

4 Likes

Not sure about world Tri, slightly different as shorter swims, but FINA were heavily criticised for lack of safety procedures before and after Fran Crippens death ~10 years ago.
Slow to respond after too, continuing to put 10k races on in very hot (wealthy) countries.

3 Likes

Wasnā€™t aware of that - just googled - looks like the water temp that day was 30.5

2 Likes

The longest swim distance in WT events is 4k and if water temp is between 31-31.9C then all swim distances from sprint to LD are shortened to 750m, and above 32C cancelled.

4 Likes

Big stink about Tokyo wasnt there, went over 30c but conveniently just below the threshold

1 Like

Sea on coast by Girona was 19c according to my Garmin. Was a bit of a bite getting in, but good to swim once youd got over initial Brrrrrrr.
No wonder some elite triathletes struggle when its just 20c. Less meat than a butchers pencil.

2 Likes

Same as usual. Took three years to even make a rule after the death, and then it conveniently is frequently 0.1C under when they measure at race start.
The initial ā€œruleā€ was that it was on athletes to decide if they were at risk and withdraw to maintain their own safety

2 Likes

I braved the lake this afternoon, 16c is too cold for me, my feet are still feeling it but my hands were worse and a bit blue when I got out :cold_face: it wasnā€™t unbearable but as usual my stroke seems to get worse as I get colder.

At least I can do the swim next week, forecast is for a few nice days so hopefully itā€™ll be up a degree or two.

11 Likes

Colder than my DL poolā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™ll call your DL pool and raise you Katara beach in August :hot_face: :smiley:

2 Likes

Second swim in 6 months. The first was the Carribbean, this was in the equally delightful paradise of Norfolk.

12C, ā€˜justā€™ warm enough to have a 15 minute splash around in the waves with a friend keeping an eye out for the surfers.

8 Likes

Going to brave Pickmere tonight ( @awildt ):rofl::rofl::rofl:

Deffo not gonna be busy :roll_eyes:

2 Likes