I’m in, for Outlaw…not the double! :laughing:

4 Likes

I’m in for the full

8 Likes

And people now go and quake in their boots

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Absolutely haven’t got this “pencilled” in (If I can actually start to exercise!!!)

6 Likes

4 and a bit weeks out, shoulder getting better, done a few swims too…think I’ll give this a go

11 Likes

96 CTL will certainly have you going into it relatively ‘fresh’ :slightly_smiling_face:

Enjoy running around that lake!

1 Like

Goose poo a plenty :smile:

1 Like

Yeah.
No way I’m doing it.
I can’t swim or run properly at the moment due to breathing issues :sob:

My CTL for Cotswolds in 2019 was about 50 :joy::face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

round and round and round…at least its flat

4 Likes

Are you sure your ‘parameters’ were right?

As we are about a month away… what are the top tips for Outlaw for a first timer? Logistics, race prep, course tips etc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Remove your brain for the run; it will be numbed :rofl:

Not sure if they still have that nasty little gravel section right near the end of the bike with the cattle grid @Poet ? @SidSnot ? That always seemed a daft idea.

2 Likes

Watch the speed bump as you exit the lake onto the first road. So many lose bottles or stack it!

Edit: Can’t actually see the bump on street map

2 Likes

Looks like it still goes down that gravelly lane
@Tupperware logistics are about as easy as you can get at the Outlaw. First lap round the lake on the bike after the swim is a good time to get yourself sorted. Then the course is quite flat with just one hill at about 50 miles. As @Jorgan says, switch your brain off for the run as you end up going round the lake 3 times. But again, its flat, plenty of aid stations and people about

3 Likes

There isn’t really an alternative without coming back on the main road and turning right towards HPP but that would mean properly closing that road, which I doubt is a starter. There is a bit of the private road that avoids the section in front of the house and the cattle grid but it isn’t rideable on a road bike. I drove in that way last year for the half as there were roadworks coming the normal route and it was horrid. My car has reasonable amount of clearance but it looks like a bike of car testing track with loads of huge potholes in.

As above course is really straighforward and well signed, well organised race. The hill isn’t big or steep and nice fast descent off it.

2 Likes

Erm … you know the road you cycle out on at 7am, the A52?

Well it’s a massively main road.
And the major one into Nottingham from the East.
So no chance of closing it later in the day.
Id also rather not cycle on it.

That road is the alternative.
And yes, they still do it.
It’s potholed to hell, about 3km and knocks off about 0.4kmh from the average speed.

Id say that over having people risk their lives on the A52 is a good thing :roll_eyes::person_shrugging:t3:

@Tupperware - if you’ve been going like previous years then it’s a 9:30 course for you, easily. If all goes to plan. The course is truly rapid.
I did a 5:12 off 2.6W/kg. I’d have gone faster if I latched onto Cancer Boy’s pack on the A6097 :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Swim is out and back. Piece of pie. Watch out for the rowing buoys. They’re rock hard and if you smack one with your hand, you’ll know about it.

T1 is ridiculous. 700m. Plan for it :joy:
Nice warm up lap around the lake to sort your head out :white_check_mark:

Bike. Easy. Although the High5 bottles and water was bloody awful the last time I did it :nauseated_face:
After the CoOp left turn at the start, that’s where I lost my bottles. The road is awful. I didn’t pick them up and regretted it.
Don’t big ring the hill :face_with_peeking_eye:
I tried and it gets quite steep quickly :joy:
Roads are super quick.
Although if a row of cars gets stuck behind people, you may need to “white lines. Don’t do it/do it” around them, otherwise you’ll be stuck.
Unless they’re doing 22mph, in which case, sit up, have a snack and enjoy the tow :speak_no_evil:

T2. Another 700m of “fun” before you start a measured 42.195km marathon…mmm…43km to run :joy:

Run. Although there’s now less of the lake, it’s still mentally challenging. White water bit is good for a break, river path isn’t visually much, but it’s easy.
Victoria bridge is the hardest part, doing that little loop up the embankment :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Loads of aid station and toilets :white_check_mark::ok_hand:t4:

Finish? I was disappointed in 2021. It wasn’t as good as 2019, which was nowhere near as good as 2010-2013. Free voucher for the food trucks, some water/high5/coke and off you go.

Leaving? GET THERE EARLY!
And you get the best car park, so can leave whilst people are still on course, otherwise you’re stuck until 5pm and might not get home in time for Countryfile :wink:

5 Likes

Nothing else for it, they need to change venues.