Outlaw Full 2024

To top it off, the fecking M1 is closed northbound too

7 Likes

Isn’t there only one pacing strategy for duathlon? Intend to pace the first run sensibly but end up with a stand alone run PB, use the bike for recovery before run 2.

Seriously though, @explorerJC has the low down on long distance duathlons. I’ve read in the past that you pace as if doing the full run distance, i.e. pace for 47.2k in this case, but not sure that makes sense when the runs are split 5k / 42k.

8 Likes

Of that length? No. But powerman Zof is 10 - 150 - 30 and feking hilly. I think the other longest was in Richmond Virginia world LD du champs and was 10-150-21 and painfully fast.

Run at a pace that will not compromise the bike and subsequent run.

the only beans would be from caffeine…if you want space, then establish a clear run in to T1 without going anywhere near the redline and aim to have a swift T1 and bike out…

5 Likes

they hurt…

A lot…

Possibly a little faster than that as there is time to sort yourself out on the bike…but no faster than ‘cruising’ pace…

2 Likes

I’d try and keep it just above steady really, maybe slightly higher HR than swimming given it’ll be 40 minutes or so shorter?

Or in my case a 3:50 first K and suffer for 10 hours :roll_eyes::joy:

6 Likes

Fuck sake. The A46 is now closed. I’ll never make it at this rate…

10 Likes

Best of luck @Adam and @SidSnot -gutted to hear about the swim (and motorway) situation. I never really enjoy the swim (or swimming generally) but I know I’d feel gutted in your situation. Keep your head in the game.

7 Likes

The British rowing championships were at HPP last weekend and I’m sure in the past they’ve stopped rowing events there because of algae :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Outlaw will obviously have known about this too. Not sure why didn’t announce it earlier - but that they could have done anything though.

I missed the start of the briefing so have no idea what to do for the opening run tomorrow. Presumably it’ll be the same as the marathon start in 2019

2 Likes

I know it’s very different but I was down the race the English (or British?) Aquathlon Champs today.

Injured, so withdrew earlier in the week.

Full refund offered to Aquathlon athletes.

Not me though, as I’d already withdrawn.

So if I stayed stum I’d get money back, but now nothing.

10 Likes

That said…if you have trained for this, then first run race pace is as much as you can sustain without compromising the rest of your race…

good luck guys…

3 Likes

Best of luck guys, hope you get to enjoy the day still.

3 Likes

I consider my ‘luck’ in full distance events to be pretty excellent; I shall not tempt fate any more…

Hope tomorrow goes okay everyone :crossed_fingers::muscle:

4 Likes

After the debacle of 2019 I said I’d never go back to the Outlaw. I did actually consider it this year but so glad I decided against it now. They must have known about the water quality before yesterday surely?

6 Likes

@SidSnot and @adam going well and close together (60th and 63rd overall, 10th and 7th in their respective age categories)).

At least the weather look pretty much ideal this year!

10 Likes

Especially looking at the temps on Tues/Wed!

3 Likes

They must have known for weeks; especially when you consider rowing events had already been cancelled recently…

Hamburg swim was canx in 2018 because of blue green algae; I was tracking it for weeks leading up to 2019 :roll_eyes: Luckily my IM fairy was on site.

1 Like

Sorry, my post obviously wasn’t clear - the British rowing championships went ahead at HPP last weekend. If algae had been an issue last weekend they would probably have been cancelled

3 Likes

Genuine question…is the risk due to this stuff so severe that the “go/no go” criteria is the same for a sport taking place on the water as one taking place in it?

Both out on the run now, go on lads! :grin:

Sid 50th (8th) - 5:05.bike
Adam 65th (9th) - 5:18 bike

Feels quite warm sat in the garden :sweat_smile:. Sure it will be windy around the lake though.

10 Likes