Paris 2024 Olympics

Hey, registered for tickets a few weeks ago and got my place in the draw today.

Anyone else hoping to go?

4 Likes

you got a place in the draw to hopefully get some tickets?

sounds like a readerā€™s digest drawā€¦

2 Likes

I think theyā€™re doing it like London 2012

Have you seen the prices, couldnā€™t believe how much! Also you had to buy 3 tickets for 3 different sports in the first round, just for heats, and 2 sports have to be ā€œunpopularā€ sports so you cant get 3 track cycling or swimming and athletics sessions. You end up watching rhythmic gymastics qualification, archery and some pre qualifying swimming. there were no finals on offer yet. I guess they will be saved for the highest bidder

4 Likes

My slot opens tomorrow so weā€™ll see.

Artistic cross country chess wonā€™t be at the top of my list.

Iā€™ll be after triathlon, beach volley andā€¦interpretive darts probably.

4 Likes

good luck! Id quite enjoy the sport where stoned teenage dudes and dudettes surf on wheelie boards doing crazy shit . or street BMX! Im guessing they would be classed as ā€œpopularā€ events though

2 Likes

2012 made me realise the whole event is what weā€™re really going for, so seeing any event will be fine for us.

Donā€™t want to spend too much thoughā€¦:grimacing:

3 Likes

Hotels outside paris and train in would be best bet if staying overnight (rail system is awesome in France) . The swimming heats were something like 80eur - 230 for heats! Dread to think what finals would be

3 Likes

I threw my hat in but I havenā€™t had any emails.

There are multiple rail systems so staying out of paris will be best bet. Le Mans is an hour TGV from paris and prices arenā€™t hideous and there are probably 3-4 trains an hour. The regional trains from st germain or beyond Versailles are also about an hour and probably about ā‚¬15 return these days and tend run every 10 mins.

2 Likes

thatā€™s why i donā€™t goā€¦

itā€™s all about the moneyā€¦

3 Likes

Hmm.

Only thing available that I want is beach volleyball preliminary phases at 200 euros a piece. Family of 6. Good night Vienna.

Triathlon is on Tuesday 30th July (Mens), Weds 31st (Women), and relays on 5th August.

3 Likes

:money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Applications are now in to National Federations for those qualified TOs who want to be on the Paris team with final selections made by World Triathlon. Always a huge bunfight because of the kudos attached to it but thereā€™s a strict selection policy and process in place so it will be interesting to see who gets selected.

3 Likes

Planning a bit of sport tourism - TDF finish in Nice then a long slow road to paris for triathlon. No idea if itā€™ll work out but worth a try!

2 Likes

Interesting discussion here. ā‚¬690 for a heat!

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Are_the_Olympics_for_normal_spectators_anymore%3F_P7907928/

Id need to check, and I was in the gods (back row!), but above the finish line for a finals night, and im sure i only paid Ā£50 (it was the night of the tri as i went to Kings College for dental traumatology checks after bike crash couple months earlier!, then train back into Central London to watch the tri and then travelled to Stratford after and spent afternoon in park and evening in stadium) and I got menā€™s 1500m finals, discus and high jump (although at other end of track) plus womenā€™s 100 hurdles. Was a real highlight of a day as we won track cycling medals which i watched on big screens!

Id love to experience that again, was an amazing day out!

4 Likes

Prices were cheap for London. I think that was part of their USP - boris was mayor at some point wasnā€™t he :roll_eyes: leaving no money for anything elseā€¦

I need to find out from my french friends what theyā€™re being charged. Iā€™ve had my ā€œhereā€™s your booking slotā€ email - none of you are filling me with confidence that Iā€™ll buy anything. I suspect thereā€™ll be a lot of cut-price tickets in the last few weeks.

3 Likes
  • I got my ticket slot. Need to buy tickets to a minimum of three events to make a ā€˜packā€™. Thereā€™s 5 of us, so thatā€™s 15 tickets.
  • Tickets are from (i.e. shit seats) ā‚¬24 so ā‚¬360 absolute minimum, next tier up is ā‚¬50, so ā‚¬750 plus travel and accommodation.

Itā€™s looking likely Iā€™ll be skipping this though may have a think and a chat with the Mrs.

3 Likes

Buy a massive new tv and sound system instead :wink:

4 Likes

And do a @fruit_thief - order 200 onions and make some French Onion soup.

6 Likes