PEDs

the algorithms have certainly help to short circuit the coaching - what they do not provide though is more ‘coaching craft’ for when things go wrong…

2 Likes

Toilets, that reminds me. We were out for a meal last night, and one of the industry guys got stuck in the toilet. After about 20-30 mins of the staff having no joy, the RAF pilot says he’ll sort it. At this point the ex Para sleeping giant (he’s a big lad nowadays) awakens, we ‘hold his pint’ and 5 mins later a sheepish looking civvy emerges from the bogs :sweat_smile: They need a new door frame.

4 Likes

As stupid as it is that there’s an enhanced games in the first place, or that amount of money, or that he’ll risk his health, a few other Q’s.

Who’s supplying?
Who’s coaching him?
Who’s associating themselves and training with him?

He obviously won’t be able to do any practice meets etc in the run up either.

2 Likes

There was a good episode of the Science in Sport podcast covering it this week asking similar questions. Like if you were a doctor wouldn’t you get struck off like Richard Freeman from the Sky jiffy bag days?

5 Likes

Thanks will check that out, often listen to those.

It’s interesting.
From a WADA perspective given he’s not really breaking any sporting rules if he doesn’t compete in a WADA event, I don’t think any coach or support staff could get an ADRV from association.
But it doesn’t look good on them.

Then from a medicolegal POV as a doctor it’s certainly a stretch to claim it’s within professional ethics to do no harm etc. Others will argue, building on doctors working within combat sports, that if he’s going to do it regardless they can at least try mitigate some risks to him.

4 Likes

Despite my interests I’ll admit I don’t actually know if he got struck off the Dr register for ordering the testosterone, or whether it was the conduct and lying about it?

I’d assume the former, but that trial dragged on so long even I lost interest.

1 Like

good effort…

3 Likes

All very good questions…

2 Likes

it is one thing to offer help…but another to lose your laptop…

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/honestsport_ew/status/1755954939711422714?t=ILQo9iHwDUnMYHNqCTFURw&s=19

Interesting.

1 Like

I see banned Russian skater Kamila Valieva (or more likely her controlling team) blamed her positive drugs test on her Grandad cutting up his heart pills with a knife that he then used to cut her a piece of strawberry gateau. Can’t really fault them for coming up with a semi-plausible excuse.

10 Likes

Google says that drug was trimetazaidine, don’t think it’s used in UK but looked it up. A drug for angina with side effects like Parkinsonism. lt’s on WADA banned list as a metabolic modulator, but I’m intrigued how it might help a skater?

I guess if there was no performance benefit, her story might be a tiny bit more plausible?

5 Likes

Looks like it’s used to increase exercise tolerance in angina/ PVD by increasing carbohydrate utilisation at the expense of fatty acid metabolism

7 Likes

how much cake did grandpa cut???

3 Likes

Maybe one for the trail thread but apparently the winner of OCC last year has tested positive, Stian Angermund?

He’s preparing his defence :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Old story but interesting to PED question, and genetic conditions.

3 Likes

He’s a big Salomon athlete isn’t he?

1 Like

Could be, guessing if he’s a race winner he’ll have some deals. They won’t be happy and I doubt his second sample will clear him.

Probably need to see what it is.

1 Like

his grandad was cutting cake…

3 Likes

Lol

7 Likes