Power meters for idiots

http://www.ero-sports.com/2017/index.php/tested-speedplay-zero-aero-pedals

This is against Speedplay aero vs std Speedplay I expect power pedals would be a much bigger difference.

You know Iā€™ve just been looking at that :joy:

But 3w as part of a much bigger picture is very low bang/buck; we canā€™t just add all the individual savings together otherwise weā€™d all be biking 4:30 in an Ironman. But it does seem there is a saving :+1:

1 Like

Thatā€™s actually not the case now. You can get the Assiomaā€™s from random online stores cheaper, but at a reputable brand like Sigma Sport, the Vector 3 are actually now a tenner cheaper. And the Vector 3 are by far and away the most attractive of any of the pedals available, mainly because they just look like a normal pedal.

105kg limit on the Garminā€™s.

The powertap pedals do not have a weight limit.

Like someone said before, after Iā€™d said it, I would avoid Garmin pedals - mainly due to their past issues.

I think, if you can afford it, crank based on all bikes is the way to go.
If not, then dual sided pedalsā€¦or, if you want to dip your toe in the water, then a pair of S/H single sided pedals.
You will be able to resell them at not too much of a loss.

1 Like

To be fair, I would still agree with this. Pedals have improved, but DCR always suggests you need at least one short ride where you knock out some high power sprints, just to bed everything in again. No such dramas with a crank based unit, that is much less likely to have any kind of damage.

That said, for the average man on the street, pedals would still be good. Simple for the fact of being able to take them on holiday and hire a random bike and have power. Iā€™ve done that a few times, and Iā€™ve frequently taken my own pedals and shoes anyway as they werenā€™t able to guarantee theyā€™d have the pedals I need available, so to get power on those rides would be nice. Marginal case however ā€¦ for any meaningful training camp type holiday, Iā€™m taking my own bike

Iā€™m watching the IQ squared story with interest. Not parting with cash until theyā€™re in production and reviewed, but that price is gunna give them a very competitive product.

Have you seen the Facebook adverts trying to sell them for $30-$130 ?
Theyā€™re springing up all over

1 Like

Yeah, I even commented on one that just made no sense. They were trying to sell the original product that got scrapped months ago.

Thereā€™s a notice about it on their crowdfunding site. Seems their brand is being piggybacked by fraudsters, in a similar kind of way as Martin Lewisā€™ name/face was used with some fraudulent adverts that made BBC News for a similar reason.

Iā€™m a bit late to this, bought P1 4 years ago, never skipped a beat. I went with pedals as I wanted to use them on 3 bikes including track so crank wasnt an option. Vectors were shit at that time with those stupid pods (which some people had damaged on track) and needing torquing to the nth degree to make sure they worked. I may consider V3 though now.

In the words of Marco from Tropojaā€¦

Good Luck

1 Like

Very good Jorgan like that

What would be good value for Assimo Uno single sided second hand? Theyā€™re selling for Ā£380 new. And I assume thereā€™ll be no changes in market price in the next 6 months, govne its been static for the last year?

worth a peek at the 4iiii range too if youā€™re a BTF member, as you get a 20% discount across range, so a single sided 105 crank based meter is now only Ā£255 which is pretty damned competitive

3 Likes

Still new to the power game. Ride from today shows one lap having a VI of 0.99. How is that possible?

Edit: see its something to do with whether include zeros or not. Still donā€™t fully understand as must have only had ~1s at zero Watts out of 10 minute lap. Unless my PM dropped out during that lap which it is known to do.

VI is simply Normalized / Average - which means for it to be less than 0 then Normalized needs to be lower than average, due to the ā€œuniqueā€ way Normalized is calculated, work done in the first seconds of an interval is valued less than work done at the end. Thus we know that the first 30seconds had a higher average power than the rest.

Thanks. Iā€™ve never really thought about how NP can be lower than AP, as tends to make sense it should be higher. But thatā€™s right for today, tried to go off feel and I first looked at watch after about a minute and realised I was going too hard and calmed down.

Just seen a tweet from a guy who put some Powertap pedals on a Peleton bike. At the end of the workout the PTs averaged 266W compared to the Peletonā€™s 400W.
No wonder everyone is crushing it!

4 Likes

Peloton just sounds very IMJ.

1 Like

Just set up the KK Road Machine and gave it a very quick spin with the phone app monitoring the turbo and my Garmin connected to the P2M. Nothing very scientific but through a range of gears they were within a couple of watts of each other.
I never really intended to use the KK output so accuracy didnā€™t really matter but itā€™s nice to know I could and a useful check on the pm too.

1 Like

My wife bought me some Favero Assioma pedals of power for Christmas. What a gal.

Iā€™ve had a bit of a play on my KK Road Machine with inRide 3 & the pedals seem to read about 20W less than the KK system.

Iā€™m the first to admit that my test protocols may not be as stringent as DC Rainmaker & Iā€™ll have another session in the next few days. Hopefully it is a fault of mine & I wonā€™t have to work with 2 differing FTPs.

1 Like