Power meters for idiots

You’re in a similar situation to me, I just intend to use the KK as a dumb trainer and rely on my pm for watts. That way it’s consistent both indoors & out.
The KK will be influenced by tyre pressure, temperature, how tight it’s wound against the wheel but if anything should be lower than your pedals as they’re at extreme ends of the drivetrain.

2 Likes

I’d like to be able to use my PM pedals on my KK, but my pedals have seized onto my dedicated turbo bike hence I’d hoped that both systems would have similar results.

According to DCR the KK system should be quite accurate, if it proves not to be I’ll have another crack at removing the pedals.

Okay, I had another play today.

After thoroughly warming up, bedding in, zeroing & calibrating I took 6 or 7 lap measurements at varying wattages from 150W to 250W…it was a rest day :roll_eyes:.

I’m much happier that both my KK & FA systems are within 3W or 4W of each other.

FA

KK

1 Like

Nice one, I love a bit home experimentation. I’ll be doing something similar tomorrow I think. Be good to have a feel for what gears deliver what power at my typical 90rpm.

1 Like

:joy:

My pedals are 15-30W higher than my trainer. I’ve got Elite support looking into it.

Did a bit of a test of P2M vs KK this morning. Calibrated both right at the start of the session, maybe should warm everything up a bit first but as it’s only curiosity I wasn’t all that concerned with result. I’ll be using P2M figures for all sessions anyway.
Gears 1-8 on small ring & 3-8 on big ring (couldn’t manage the last 2!)
P2M on left, KK on right.
72-66
81-80
98-99
118-121
150-154
169-176
184-199
211-236
169-171
205-221
263-254
290-277
324-298
367-330
You can see they start to separate a bit more higher up the scale which may be my ability to hold a steady level at those wattages. I tried to find a consistent section in Strava to rule out any timing issues with pressing the lap button on 2 devices and changing gear etc.

The KK Smart Machine is supposed to be pretty accurate. Tyre pressure and other variables shouldn’t matter because you calibrate every time you use it. I have no other way of measuring watts so that may be complete rubbish, but the DCR review seemed vary favourable. :man_shrugging:

The other weekend my Assiomas started showing what I presume was half power after about 90 mins; maybe not charging them for 3 months had something to do with it! Full charge & firmware update (4.0) and all is well :ok_hand:

Finally got some Assiomas. Put them on the wattbike. Biggest inaccuracy is my 49:51 (occasionally 48:52) split with a one sided PM, but even when riding at 50:50 or 51:49 it looks like the pedals are reading slightly low, maybe 2%

What are you comparing the accuracy to?

I think the pedals read ever so marginally low compared to the wattbike display. If I’m riding 200W at 48:52 then I expect the pedals to say 192,so that’s the biggest difference, but looks like they’re actually saying an extra 1-2% lower.
I currently have a powertap hub on loan on my bike, so might as well compare them before I give the hub back, but that’s pretty much meaningless comparison given no measurement of L:R difference when I know I have a consistent slight imbalance.

Provides great motivation to equalise the legs even if just to inflate the numbers :wink::joy: and continue my journey to being a proper triafleet and just upgrade to the duo by summer.

Ah, so the balance number comes from the Wattbike, not the Assioma then? I find I’m only at 50:50 some of the time, it’s usually 51 on my left leg.

I don’t know when it happened, but I get way more power metrics on Garmin Connect now, from the Assiomas. Even includes seated/standing time, as well as the angle & % of the ‘power phase’ by leg. Any idea when this popped-up @Matthew_Spooner or @stenard ? Maybe 4-5 months ago?

Yeah, middle of last year: Cycling Dynamics for Assioma Power Meter Pedals Released, New Pedal Bodies Too | DC Rainmaker

Thinking of investing in a Power Meter, either pedals or crank based for easy(ish) swapping between bikes.

With the general trend of Power Meters getting cheaper, should I buy a single sided Stages L, Vector 3s or Assioma Uno now? Or is it worth hanging off a few months and saving some extra pennies for a Dual sided version in the hope they also come down in price a bit?

£300 seems almost sensible for single side, whereas £600 feels like a big investment!

Assioma All day long.

1 Like

Power tap pedals haven’t missed a beat (you just need to pay attention to the low battery warning on your head unit)

1 Like

Single sided are little more than an educated guess of what your power is. Some people say “I have even pedal strokes” but they don’t as it varies wildly based on numerous factors, others say accuracy doesn’t matter but it does when pacing to it. imagine 200watts. you put out 50/50 that reads 100 each side. if you are putting out 55/45 the power meter will be reading 220watts or 180watts if right dominant. That’s a lot of watts to be out and over or under cooking your race. Add that i have differing balance based on wind, climbing, in / out of saddle, focusing on certain elements. I even had an imbalance riding fixed on the track which differed based on the gearing i used. Also with crank systems dont get anythign based on shimano as there are discrepancies due to the right crank arm shape. This is a known issue that companies choose to do nothing about. see here

1 Like

For me, a single sided power meter gives you 99% of the benefits of a dual sided power meter. I know that I ride with a L/R balance of 50/50, it is vaguely interesting to see that when I have had a running injury in the past, I see a slight change in balance, maybe to 48/52.

With the Assioma (and Garmin Vector) you get a load of dynamics metrics, I can see that the power phase on my right side is slightly different to power phase on the left… however, no idea how I can use this data, and there seems to be very little I have read that tells me how I can incorporate such information into my training.

I love the Assioma’s, it is great that you can charge them up. If you buy a single sided, you can upgrade to double sided at a later date

I used to have Stages power meter, both Gen 1 and Gen 2. Gen 2 was better, but very inconsistent

2 Likes

Hanging around waiting for a deal on the Assioma Duo currently. Best I can find currently is $707 / ~£545, though they did have a great black Friday offer so hoping they may run something similar.

Haven’t read anything negative about these anywhere?

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies, some thinking to do. Assioma Duo seems to be the consensus.

Cheapest I found was £575 on Bikefast, although I’ve never heard of them, so may be a risk.

Goldenboot, Where have you seen £545?