Power meters for idiots

I’m US based I’m afraid. Clever Training has them at this price - but can almost guarantee they would end up more if you tried to ship to the UK due to VAT

Cool, we had Clevertraining Europe setup until recently, but looks like it’s being shut down so only P1s and Vector 2 remaining. :frowning:

575 Here

https://www.cyclepowermeters.com/shop-by-type-18/pedal-based-powermeter/assioma-duo.html

1 Like

They are very good. My only issues have been self inflicted, due to either crank length discrepancies (different devices) or leaving it 3 months between charges! Battery life is way over what they advertise.

2 Likes

A clubmate has sent his back numerous times - spindle replacements and other things.
Shipping over to them, you have to cover, plus you don’t have the pedals whilst they’re being repaired.

1 Like

I was lucky enough to get some in the Clever Training sale this time last year, had them shipped to in-laws in California so got stung for a bit of tax but came in still just under the £500. So far they have performed faultlessly and battery life seems to be in the manufacturer’s ball park.

Are you talking about the Assiomas?

Yes. Sorry.
I have to add, from his experience, Their customer service has always been faultless

Single sided is fine.

1 Like

It’s only when things go wrong you find out how good a vendor is.

1 Like

I’d agree :ok_hand:t4:

But I’m a cheapskate and just like the numbers it shows.

From WattBike training, I’m 49/51, or 50/50, so I’m not too fussed…then @Hammerer goes and says that thing he said

but if it’s single on the wrong side for your bias, then you don’t look as big on the internet willy waving.

Personally, given how easy it is to pick up crank based second hand for half that 600 quid price, I’d do that…

But then you’ve the “effort” of swapping cranks between bikes :wink:

Or it’s still single sided for the “clean” LH crank swap.

Yes I’m yet to see a dual sided user who has a stable balance or even imbalance. To be fair though for most it really doesnt matter that much as they dont know how to use them properly :wink:

2 Likes

Do an FTP test (the proper version, not this weird ramp test nonsense)
Put it on your computer
Load it to BBS
Try harder if it beeps hard
Try less if it beeps soft.

That’s it, yeah?

Or;

Don’t get one.
Do some hills hard.
Cycle into the wind.
Do all club rides on the front.
Ride in the rain and cold.
Don’t touch Zwift.
Be epic.

3 Likes

One guy I was helping, bought one was I need to do ftp test. I just said put it on bike and forget about it. We will carry on as normal. He thought I was nuts. 3 months later we had all the data we needed to start to use it effectively.

3 Likes

I’m interested to know your thoughts on how to use one effectively. If I’m going to invest, I want to get some return in my training. Any pointers on where to start, or reading material you would recommend.

I use a Smart trainer and currently on Zwift, before that Trainerroad. Last year I followed an 80/20 plan from the Matt Fitzgerald book, with the bike workouts built in Trainingpeaks, then picked up in Zwift. Seemed to work well. I’m relatively new to the sport and structured training, so if you have any nuggets of info, it would be appreciated.

I would start with what I mentioned, just ride for at least a couple of months. I’d add some 1min efforts, sprints, 5mins, 20 mins, do a 25TT, ride inside. Get the data and then you can see what is going on, ie are you going too deep up hill, too much coasting, what is your power curve like, average watts on a long ride. You need to use it with HR and learn RPE as well because even power isnt the definitive source. The go to book is training and racing with a power meter.

1 Like

Nearly got a good (but not amazing) deal on a 6 month old pair of the Faveros on facebook marketplace… but something just didn’t quite seem right and had a few alarm bells ringing. The guy was only in the next city to me but could quite work out collection, and he only had facebook pay (which I think may be US only) which I have no experience of, and no paypal. Wanted to do my research on FB pay before sending a few hundred quid to a stranger, and tbf it seemed ligit (buyer protection etc.) however glad I waited… he stopped replying to me after a couple of hours and this morning the account has been deleted.

Glad I listened to gut instinct. By the looks of it FB pay does offer buyer protection, but there are always scams out there that get around the protection policies if you know what to look for (e.g. the Paypal payment & hand delivered common scam) of which I didnt.

Update: Wattbike crank length is 170mm. Assuming this is source of “error”, will find out this evening. And must say I do love them. Still not charged them, ridiculously easy to change over, and they just work. Head has come round to the idea that single sided is plenty good enough, but still might treat myself to an upgrade.

1 Like