Pro bike sponsors

Doubt he will use 2 bikes as he does 70.3 & IM now

True.

Heā€™s heavily tied into Tri Academy, so if he goes, then I suspect their Tri Academy sponsorship will be gone tooā€¦

Looks like theyā€™re using all of their budget on Cav at Quickstep thenšŸ˜¬

Iā€™d say they have pulled out. Its got to be the lack of return from Ironman. More people follow cycling than triathlon and they would get just as much exposure in the tri market from pro cyclists anyway. Who actually buys these super bikes anyway. Cant be enough to warrant big name spending.

1 Like

Actually a reasonably (mostly) sensible discussion on ST about all this.

Either that, or thereā€™s some interesting deal being put together in the background with PTOā€¦ they have access to lots of funding, and iā€™m expecting some more organised moves to start kicking IM Corp at some pointā€¦

1 Like

Could be. Im thinking also that many companies have seen the power of the Instawhore rent a gob generation that get a box of gels in return for multiple weekends a year standing at trade stalls for free and posting nonsense to their 200k followers. I know how I would advertise in this day and age. A semi reasonable GeeeBeee athlete in a club. There were a couple in the club i was at, got half the club buying Giant bikes and getting servicing done at a Giant store; even though another local real bike shop had been very generous in sponsoring our club races for a number of years and subsequently walked away!

Yeah, Iā€™d agree. The point about the Specialized tri portfolio is the big one from my perspective. If youā€™re going to buy a new Tri bike having been inspired by your favourite pro, with a brand like Canyon or Cervelo you can buy a model to fit your budget. With Specialized, itā€™s cĀ£10k superbike or nothing. And that superbike is full of features you may not even want.

2 Likes

Ā£10k is way beyond the aspirations of the majority of (even Dentist) triathletes. Especially as the benefits from a Ā£2k bike to a Ā£10k bike are minimal at best

2 Likes

I really like LCB and the TCB channel, yet I donā€™t subscribe and canā€™t think of anything Iā€™d influenced to buy. She must have some pull though because that T6 camper she was gifted wouldnā€™t have been cheap.

Lucy is raffling her favourite S-Works frame. On Instagram and you tube.

All for Great Ormonde Street

3 Likes

Yeah, bought a ticket this afternoon

Looks like the old S Works frame (unless Iā€™m mistaken).
Funny she made a point of it being here favourite.

Interestingly Amberger has moved from Felt to Spesh. So theyā€™re still in the game!

1 Like

Gomez and Duffy are still with Spesh. I wonder if they are focusing on the Olympics and the road models - tarmac SL7s?

1 Like

It might indicate that LCB left rather than pushed because as good as Amberger is, I canā€™t see any company choosing him over LCB.

1 Like

I remember having her on the podcast a good few years back, and at that point she didnā€™t even have a bike sponsor - and not long after she signed with Spec. I wonder if sheā€™s simply been offered more money somewhere else? letā€™s be honest, any bike manufacturer that sponsors her is guaranteed to have their bike shown for 5 hours on the Kona coverage each year for the next 10 years with LCB on board . Canyon recently had a big money majority stake acquisition - I wonder if theyā€™ll simply offer her a deal too good to refuse?

Iā€™m not sure that has that much value for a manufacturerā€¦ the numbers of eyeballs is still really low for most marketing teamsā€¦ LCBā€™s big ace card, as I see it anyway, is that sheā€™s very marketable outside of the normal channels, potentially getting coverage in media like the mainstream newspapers and online channels, where brands want to be seen, and to be perceived as aspirational. Sheā€™s young, attractive, competitive and still getting betterā€¦ all things that will appeal to marketing directors.

1 Like

GTB just announced Specialized as her new bike sponsor