Pro race chat (Tri)

I guess traditionally/historically the power houses have been USA, Germany and Oz - which would make sense. Certainly from the men’s side, women’s has more spread across Europe but without the antipodean dominance.

Ali Brownlee wins Ironman Kalmar ( ? :world_map: :face_with_monocle: … Sweden ) in British record time - 7:38 something

7 Likes

Great performance. Finish line looks cracking in Kalmar too from their Instagram.

2 Likes

This.

Nowt to do with Brexit, but perhaps UK could go with International and have a ‘Commonwealth’ team.

Understand the point about North America, but we know the Americas like to stand alone. Perhaps plays into the marketing strategy.

Through it all though, the highlight was still Laidlow winding Sam Long up.

1 Like

Yeah, probably the fairest distribution that makes some kind of sense is Americas vs Europe (ex. UK and Ireland - inc. Ireland to make it less Brexity) vs ROW

However it’s quite a bold move to exclude UK from Europe, really - it makes it very artificial.

1 Like

Watching the Vuelta on Saturday, Carlton Kirby said something along the lines of “coming up after this we have the Collins Cup, and if triathlon is your thing, races don’t get bigger than that”

Err, I think maybe Kona would come higher up people’s list and probably the Olympics too :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Don’t be so Woke; UK vs Rest of World…right?

:lion: :lion: :lion:

3 Likes

In TV land, the biggest event is always the next one you are showing.

2 Likes

England vs RoW

This recent trend of referring to the subjugated regions as being UK is mamby pamby wokery. It’s all England. Cornwall? England. Falklands? England. The Highlands? England. Hong Kong? England.

2 Likes

FTFY

They will probably go into a Commonwealth with the Faroes.

2 Likes

This is a genuine question

What does woke mean?

Never hear it in work or the circles I move in?

I never read papers and have no clue?

1 Like

Sorry, Jorgan took it OT and I piled in without checking the thread title.

This ironic thread may illuminate the issue, or just confuse even more.

2 Likes

“Politically correct”?
“Easily offended”?
“Overly sensitive”?

1 Like

Lol ( is that woke )

None of them for me

1 Like

It probably hasn’t reached the prison system yet :roll_eyes: :rofl:

5 Likes

Hopefully never will !

2 Likes

It started as a phrase, “I am woke to”…

Sexism
Racism
The plight of others
Etc.
Etc

4 Likes

Duncan Shea-Simonds says that IM.Kalmar was a little long. Just about 100m in the swim, 1/2 kile for both bike and run. If so makes 7:39 (rounded up a little) look a even better.

3 Likes

White organic kart enthusiast

I always presumed it was something to do with waking up and being aware - woke - of the injustices of various things

Awakened

According to Wikibollocks - there is no single agreed-upon definition of woke , but it came to be largely associated with ideas that involve identity and race

So I guess the answer is - no one knows

2 Likes