Pull up challenge

Ftfy😃

Plus arm length…
Plus coefficient of grip: are you hanging from a bespoke steel pole, a dusty beam with wires on it, a door frame, a branch etc
Occupational adjustment factor, scaffolders -60% etc…

2 Likes

Nooooo! we don’t want any of that strength to weight stuff - otherwise you lot will accuse me of weight doping with my 54.5kg.

3 Likes

overhand
straight arms
1 second at the bottom

Got halfway to the 4 but arms failed. It’s in a doorway so I need my legs very crossed to get all the way to straight arms which I think is making it harder. Will try it in the gym with a pull up bar.

3 Likes

Boom - no sandbagging there

1 Like

Is it in my head or does crossing your legs make it harder?

Managed 4 today. Couldn’t even hope of attempting a 5th

2 Likes

Even when I was light and really strong I always really struggled with pull ups, think 3 was my max, despite being able to row and lat pull down well over my body weight.

I dont know if my height or arm length had something to do with it. Last time I tried I damaged a tendon as well

5 Likes

I think that pull up is one of the ultimate tests because your weight “shouldnt” matter, I say shouldnt matter because you have to assume that more weight is more muscle. If you are fat then its not going to help at all.

1 Like

10…!

That’s good

1 Like

Here’s a nice video for pull-up variations - weighted ones are shown too!

3 Likes

Those Mungo Pull ups are horrible. I managed a slightly dubious 10. The 1s pause is a killer

3 Likes

When I said one second … I obviously didn’t mean a 60 th of a min!

Just a dead stop and go again Matt.

10 is good for anyone, for a skinny cyclist that’s really good !!

1 Like

Will give it another go tomorrow to make sure I have a good pause in between each one - I normally do anyway when doing pull-ups, but I don’t want to cheat. Also I might feel fresher tomorrow as I had a hard climbing session yesterday - we’ll see!

1 Like

Right !

Inspired !!

So 5 dips 5 pull ups bicep grip ( underhand)

Straight arms at the bottom. sec … ish pause go again

Per min, one the min every min

Managed 15 sets… pretty poor as was getting out of breath…?!?

4 Likes

On this thing

2 Likes

You’re a climber though, so that’s proper cheating whichever way you look at it! :rofl:

3 Likes

Managed 9no @Mungo2 strict pull-ups, will train for this challenge and see how it goes in a few weeks…

7 Likes

That’s also cheating! :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve just sweated out about 1kg on Zwift, off to the loo, and then going to try for a 5

Edit: yes! Get in

10 Likes

Thats a serious pull up bar

1 Like

Thats pretty good. These @Mungo2 pull ups are seriously tough

2 Likes