Quality Slowtwitch/IMJ Threads

Understandable - that course is a beast.

2 Likes

Back in the day when Ken and Glenda Baggs ran IMOZ, you had to qualify at a HIM distance race. This predated ‘validation’, you had to properly qualify, then Ken and Glenda would approve your entry.

It got watered down over the years, then the move to Port Mac, etc etc. As far as I know, there has never been a swim death at any Aussie IM (or any other triathlon I think).

The closest I can think of is when Ian Green was pulled from the water in 2007 and died 2 days later in hospital. It was unrelated to the actual swimming and ‘Green Machine’ was an incredibly accomplished triathlete.

3 Likes

Phew. Wasn’t sure I’d meet your entry criteria for a moment!

:face_exhaling:

2 Likes

you can easily do 2min/100 swim

bike, meh less procrastinating, more cycling :wink:

running is what you do from the police.

I actually wonder how I’d train for Ironman these days, bulk of my on road cycling was 38k round trip to work with occasional repeats up Greenwich park hill and rare long rides. Not going into office means limited on road time, I end up on turbo most of the time.

4 Likes

:man_raising_hand:

errr.

70.3 swim PR 1,992 m - 42:03 - 2:06 /100m (Jul 2024) :face_with_peeking_eye: :grimacing:

I was swimming 3 - 4 times a week leading to that and one session was OW (for the two months before.) Before that was 3 pool sessions most weeks over the Winter and Spring.

1 Like

get a swim teacher :wink:

what are you doing in those 4 sessions, structure, technique, anyone reviewed your technique etc. For kids just going to the pool more helps as they are young enough the body adapts but as we get old we need help as the body isn’t as self aware

2 Likes

That is a problem locally, you can get some group (club) coached sessions in the winter/spring but not the summer as people start doing OW and the coaches stop running the group sessions.

1 to 1 lessons envole more travel and £££ than I can personally afford.
There must be many people in this situation that dont live in one of the bigger cities or are luck enough to live by some decent facilities.

Currently I only realistically (cant make the weekly session) have a bi-weekly coached session available to me atm.
Previously I attended a weekly session and had an option of a biweekly second session, it help but as you know its not anywhere near enough.

I totally agree with you point in principle but logistics and cost make things very difficult.

1 Like

for a life skill they sure make it hard, and expensive, to practice it! Soap box time, but I’ve been there enough already :wink:

3 Likes

If you cant run in the 4:40s min/km (or quicker) off the bike in a 70.3, go away and train more or better until you can.

Maybe try running away from the police quicker. Time in a cell is time you cant train and I’m not sure you can claim it is decent recovery.

3 Likes

we are talking Ironman not half :wink:

If you are running a 3:05 marathon off the bike, then you will beat me :wink:

2 Likes

How about 4:05, would that be good enough?

I cant comment on running in a full, grim I bet, might find out later in the year.

2 Likes

my standalone pb is 4:09 :wink:

BUT caveat i was in 3:45 shape that day, it was warm, only followed the pacer for 3:57 and got caught up in traffic around Docklands and ran last 6miles chatting to some bloke in an Ironman UK hat from Sherbourne :wink: Oh and I did stop for a chat with T_C also who was walking as he had cycled from Lincoln the day before and was “running” with a broken hip.

I’m also huge and lazy :wink:

6 Likes

Can’t believe he hadn’t set off that morning

4 Likes

it was the broken hip, needed to allow a bit more time to get down

2 Likes

You’ve got a point there - I’ve never had to run from the Law.

I Am The Law.

3 Likes

That sounds tiring

More boring and a long time in the wet stuff than tiring.

1 Like

Let me know when you do, it must be an experience…:sweat_smile:

No, I always feel good starting the run no matter how the bike went, the first ten km is never bad. It’s just the relief. The third, fourth and fifth hours on the run course are when it’s not so much fun.

2 Likes

Easy - just get down to 2h30 pace like the Blu. That way you don’t have the 4th and 5th hours out there.

6 Likes

I dont intend on dragging it out beyond 2h59m59 for the sake of it, so no problem. :rofl:

Same as you with running off the bike, it actually feels better, especially than a run with a short or poor warmup. However I’ve never ran off a TT bike (at all) nevermind over 100 miles.

Also I’m so use to my road bike fit (pretty relaxed unless on the drops), and zillions of miles clocked up on it, maybe thinking running off the bike in other circumstances is easy is foolish.

I still might use the road bike… TT is fast(er) but I’m not that comfortable with it.

1 Like