Quality Slowtwitch/IMJ Threads

Ha ha

I remember… proper trolled.

Those kayak People might be a touch busy this year!?

There are loads who would defer but they can’t .

Thought your response was pretty balanced actually. Be surprised if they threw shit at you for that

There’s just no reasoning with some people.

Next time just spam them with swim race entries. It’s the same logic, but they wouldn’t dare enter a swim race would they?

The guy on ST that wanted a towboat was the pinnacle of it all.

I find it mind boggling that anyone would think it a good idea to enter an IM if they can’t swim properly. 3.8km is a long way to swim even if you’re a good swimmer and doing it in open water only makes it a bigger challenge.

At registration for IM St George there was a small group pausing to pray to God that they finish the swim “this time” :open_mouth: . The water was only 14C and I reckon you’d have hypothermia after 2+ hours, so I reckon they would have ended up on the long list of swim DNFs.

Having said that, a mate entered a cross country skiing marathon having never cross country skied. He hired the equipment and went out for a bit of a practice the day before and finished in what sounded like a reasonable time, even if he did spend a lot of time falling over :rofl:

9 Likes

Like the guy I overheard in Hamburg, when the swim was 50/50 with the algae. Maybe it was his wording because he was Danish. “We we still have to do the swim” :thinking: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Fairly certain most people think 3.8km swimming is like 3.8km running - shorter than a parkrun, why worry :woman_facepalming:t4:

at the World Winter Tri champs last year, there was an Egyptian age grouper who’d never been on XC skis until a couple of days before the event. He was OK running and biking but was very slow on the ski leg, although he did finish the event - he was so slow that he and his Egyptian mate (who was quite useful) missed their plane connection later that day. Also spoke to a Yank fella who again hadn’t done any XC skiing until a few days before but at least he was an experienced downhill skier so got the technique needed quite quickly.

1 Like

Quite a few US races have downstream swims to help them!

2 Likes

Are you saying its not just that americans are fastest because they are the best?

I genuinely read that as “Americans are fattest” the first time round and had to go back as it didn’t make sense.

Last 10 years has seen a massive change in tri demographics. We all thought @wiganer was nuts deciding on a whim to do IMUK in his first year. It just wasn’t the thing to do. Ironman isn’t that hard to finish, but it seems that is the goal of the majority now rather than perform to the best of your ability by doing the hard yards over a few years.

6 Likes

What does that make me? 4 years in and only 1 HIM, the rest of my races have all been shorter.

2 Likes

A TriTalker, not an IMJ’er :rofl:

4 Likes

Yeah but I still can’t swim very well. Maybe I’d fit in better over there.

4 Likes

20+ years and never gone further than Olympic, whatever works for you, there’s no rule that says you have to keep going longer.

5 Likes

he wouldn’t have been alone - quite a few of the RW Pirates did an IM as their first tri, and with piss poor swimming experience - and for some it was their only ever triathlon. Many of them just wanted to tick a box of “been there and done that” and get a finish. Perhaps a reason why I’ve not felt part of that group for a long long time.

1 Like

I was the opposite, I could swim properly.

I just couldn’t run properly - still can’t! :rofl:

5 Likes

Yeah, but if you can’t run any more you can walk for a while and you’ll be fine.

If you can’t swim, there’s a good chance that you’ll drown :rofl:

3 Likes

Just remember that on IMJ, everyone is an ‘absolute legend’. Here, you’re a person interested in endurance sports.

2 Likes

say whaaaaaaaaaa

2 Likes