Quick question - gear

I might have the xlab plate kicking about if you want it?

For HIM and IM, personally, I wouldn’t recommend an aero bottle at all. Although i say this as someone that uses ‘bombs’ of nutrition in their bottle on the frame and water BTA.

The problem with aero bottles is that is you drop them and the split or something, you can’t use on course bottles. (small chance I know). I did think about going this route but I went with a regular cage (on a P3) mainly for this reason and the fact that I could leave an ‘insurance bottle’ in special needs, so I’d be one lap max without nutrition.

The issue with doing this with an aero bottle is that they are bloody expensive and you don’t always get the SN bags back.

For short races and TTs, yes an aero bottle would be ok. Just my opinion of course.

2 Likes

ok @fatpom…ty kindly i didn’t go down that route and avoided that expenditure.

i found a behind the saddle rack that will hold two cages.

1. the bottles come out which is a PITA
  2. i’ve already broken one of my cages as i dismounted swung my inflexible leg over and knoked the bottle with my calf, the lateral force broke the cheap speccy cage cage

can ayone recommend a grippy and less likely to break cage?

PS how do i start a new topic in this sub forum? hope i’m not annoing anyone by adding to this thread.

I’ve found Lezyne Flow Cages grippy, robust & cheap. I’ve never lost a bottle even doing long, fast gravel sections on my CX. Not used on my behind the saddle mount, but I would think that they should be up to it.

The two I have are xlab gorilla cages. There’s a standard and xt version, the latter is extra strong. They also do a chimp I think it’s called, that’s less grippy.

In a race, the xt has my tool bottle, and the standard one has fluid.

As for legs hitting the bottles, I only use 550ml bottles rather than 750ml when racing for that reason. I can flying mount/dismount with them as they’re no higher than the saddle. Training rides I’ll use 750s as I need to be self sufficient, but have to get my leg over carefully!

1 Like

I use a BTA for water/hand offs and a regular bottle in the frame for my nutrition ‘bomb’.

I have a BTS on my Sitero but due to a freaky combination of frame size required and seatpost available, I have cut the bracket down. This means I can only use one bottle but I don’t use it for a regular bottle. I have one of the stubby split/zip spares ‘bottle’ in there.

The one I have is from Vittoria and it’s quite rubberised and the cage I have is the X-Lab Gorilla. Nothing is rattling out of that!

2 Likes

You know those cycling jersey things that have 3 funny bottle sized-pockets on the rear…

Same setup as me. Except I do have the second cage with fluid in

In my case I’m talking about my race setup, where I don’t have any pockets

@doonhammer, these? " [Lezyne Flow Bottle Cage Side Load - Left]"

left and right hand version…i never knew that was a thing

they were more like the ones i had seen elsewhere but GBP50 a pop in Wiggle…ouch

Yeah, I managed to get mine in sales

I’ve only ever used the regular ones.

I got one at half price but I have a Chimp on the down tube that I think I paid full price for. (should rename it ‘chump’!)

My BTA cage is a Specialized something. (I’ll look it up later but it might be called ‘Rib’) and it’s brilliant. Just the right tension between easy to get out and not ejecting.

2 Likes

Those rib ones are good, light too.

1 Like

I have 5 ten speed sram red rear mechs, one is a spare and unused.

One is different … is this the wi fli one that can take a bigger rear block?

It’s certainly different too the others ?!

I use these Specialized cages BTS, no bottle mortars from me. They’re ribbed for exta pleasure
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/Rib-Bottle-Cage-II/O2XD

2 Likes

Now that’s a price I can get down with. Cheers

2 Likes

Any chance you’d sell one of those to me?

Which one?

Young fast buck like you still on 10 speed?

Four of my bikes are sram red ten speed, my spare is brand new, I might have a 10 speed force in my eBay box?