Rant rant rant

Yes, I get your point. Hence the bit about employing good/skilled people :laughing: Trouble is, they don’t seem to. I mean, the people who work in the road/traffic depts. They must be people who dropped out of school.

I could tell you why this is so but you wouldn’t like the (very long) answer. It has much more to do with rev-rec/ rev-share on frameworks like SE7, than it actually does with getting a good job done locally.

Blame CCS. It’s a nightmare. I will NEVER touch Public Sector again.

DEMONIC RAAB, MICHAEL GOVE, PRITI PATEL, SAJID JAVID - EVERY TIME YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTHS IN SUPPORT OF THAT TWAT JOHNSON AND TORY POLICIES, I JUST WANT TO TWAT YOU IN THE FACE WITH A SHOVEL. CUNTS THE LOT OF YOU.

4 Likes

THATS TUPE FOR YOU -YOU HAVE TO EMPLOY COUNCIL MORONS AND CANNOT DUMP THEM WITH THE TRASH THEY OCCASIONALLY THROW AWAY !

LETS NOT NATIONALISE EVERYTHING AND GO BACK TO AN ERA WHERE PEOPLE WENT ON STRIKE EVERY 5 MINUTES AND SERVICES WERE RUN DOWN, DIRTY AND NEVER ON TIME. THINGS WERE NOT BETTER 30 YEARS AGO.

3 Likes

SOMEBODY BUY CORBYN A GOOD SUIT. HE LOOKS LIKE A REFORMED ALCOHOLIC TRYING TO GET A JOB.

3 Likes

It would seem like we just cannot get some things right in this country, and the rail network is a prime example? I heard lack of rolling stock was one issue. They just seem to get it right in so many other western countries though…

1 Like

It is pretty apparent when you go to a country that gets it right (S Korea is very efficient also).

Trains in Oz are pretty woeful. They run on power lines which keep failing when leaves are on the line or when the weather is hot, plus the late running times are shocking. It’s relatively cheap though. For years in Oz you had to get on a different train if you crossed a state border because they couldn’t agree on a std track size!

Interestingly, Oz is very very unionised (rail, road, stevedores etc) and nearly all of the loud mouthed union ‘leaders’ are Scottish or Irish expats.

Oz’ issue, particularly in Sydney is that the state Gov could never decide if it wanted to be a friend of the motorist or a friend of the PT commuter. As it is, the ended up buggering both systems.

1 Like

given the physical space that Oz has you would think that they would be investing in some good high speed intercity tracks like France has done with their TGV lines.

when we were there last year we looked into getting a train from Sydney to Gold Coast for the ITU Grand Finals - what a nightmare that would have been - the thing just didn’t make sense, so we abandoned that and flew instead. my preference would always be train over flight if possible but Oz still seems to be flight oriented.

1 Like

yes the service now isn’t great, we need to do something but BR is not the answer…well it could be if the people that run government services were not corrupt, self serving or people that are unable to get a real job :wink: (going all GrahamO there) . The main issue is that we have different companies responsible for different areas and they all don’t want to pay for repairs so argue who is to blame. In the old days they just didn’t bother. Bottom line someone has to pay for it all at the end of the day.

Flights better here also sometimes, it was cheaper to fly Stansted to Blackpool and to stay overnight than the return same day train fare was to watch football in Wigan one year!

Oh defo on flying vs rail in this country. If you’re going to Scotland from here, Easyjet is a fraction of 3 or 4 return rail tickets! Peak return ticket to London from Bristol Parkway is £214 :rofl::flushed:

Yeah it’s a weird set up there. Trains are painful for sure, especially country or interstate trips. Oz is very city centric, that’s where the jobs/taxes are and anything outside of that doesn’t get much of a look in. The Gov doesn’t like expansion beyond the overcrowded cities because laying infrastructure is so expensive.

It just goes round in circles like that. Throw in a model where you have State Gov vs Fed Gov and it gets worse.

1 Like

But they’re unregulated fares.
Regulated fares, since BR, have kept inline, or below, inflation (66% since privatisation)

Who actually buys tickets on the day for a journey of that length?
Bristol Parkway to London return can be had for £36.30 with your HM railcard.

Bristol to Glasgow is £316 return for two adults and two kids with a Family railcard (£25 cost)
Easyjet to Glasgow is £456 return, for the same family, with 23kg luggage and who want to sit together (you get that for free on the train, with your power socket and table reservation)

That’s leaving around 1130 on 6th December, returning around 1330 on 10th December.

IF YOU’RE GOING TO RIDE LIKE A CNT, DON’T BE SURPRISED IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU A CNT. IF YOU DON’T LIKE BEING CALLED A C*NT THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULD SHOW SOME CONSIDERATION TO THE OTHER CYCLISTS AROUND YOU. WE’RE ALL JUST TRYING TO GET TO WORK IN ONE PIECE.

7 Likes

My wife has gotten flights to GLA for just over £100 before! (for all of us!)

I have to book rail tickets through ‘the system’ so we get ripped off :roll_eyes: But it’s the same for my wife if she has meetings in London in the morning, and has to go Peak time.

I see no ‘C’ like behaviour from cyclists on my commute; but it’s not in a city centre, let alone London.

Oh Yeah. FCKING ‘LATCH’ STYLE DOOR HANDLES. ALWAYS CATCHING MY HIP/CLOTHES ON THE LEVER BAR FFS.

DON’T GET ME STARTED ON THAT. MY DAUGHTER SOMETIMES OPENS THE DOOR WITH THE ACTION OF A PINBALL MACHINE AND JUST LETS THE HANDLE FLICK BACK.

SCARES THE SHIT OUT OF ME!

ANOTHER NEW GARMIN … ANOTHER NEW CHARGER STYLE. OF COURSE!!!

2 Likes