Rant rant rant

Otters?

1 Like

Possibly from the heat on Friday who knows, no chance of a post mortem at the vets as they’ve been dispatched into the field of death over the road

3 Likes

Just in from a long, for me these days, jaunt to realise I left my water bottle on a bridge at about the farthest point.

And there’s now a storm rolling through.

I really liked that bottle.

8 Likes

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMNY3vwty/?k=1

3 Likes

Erm… ‘BELOW’

3 Likes

Exciting news for anyone that was wondering about this; i drove to nearby, walked 10 minutes, looked for 2 or 3 minutes, and sure enough there it was.

Hurrah. I have my bottle back and I’m not angry with myself about littering!

19 Likes

We were on a walk through the woods on the common yesterday. We get about 45 mins in and the little one realises she’d left her bag in a den that we found… With Mrs GB’s phone in it!

Cue Dad retracing the random tracks we’d taken trying to remember which patch of identical looking pine tree plantation the bag was in! :joy:

Good job I’m an afleet innit.

14 Likes

Didn’t happen, wasn’t on Strava :joy:

5 Likes

Just found out Eurostar aren’t raking boxed bikes on trains this summer and won’t have any updates about when they will until September. Blaming Brexit and customs apparently :roll_eyes:

Not sure how that works as surely a boxed bike is just oversized luggage.

Unfortunately my French holuday starts on the 2nd September so unlikely to be of any use by the time they announce something.

Anyone know of any decent road bike rental places near Bergerac?

1 Like

How is a bike box any different to a large suitcase? Are they stopping those ‘because of Brexit’ ?

1 Like

A bike box won’t fit in the luggage rack in the carriages, so I assume they get loaded on somewhere else in the train?

Ah I see. Will be interesting to see if the cite the same excuse for other stuff. Do skiers/ golfers use Eurostar?

2 Likes

I’ve travelled with skis on the Eurostar a bunch. They used to do dedicated ski trains that ran overnight to the Alps (specifically the Isere valley) and they would have a few seats in each carriage that were set aside for luggage; because a siginificant proportion of the people on there had skis.

When I’ve been on with skis on the ‘normal’ service, it’s been a faff but they fit upright in by the luggage racks OK, or if you’re early on the train you can get them in the over-head rack, but that’s kind of antisocial as they’re ~2m long.

Last time I looked at taking a bike on the train I was under the impression the issue was that the new trains don’t have a ‘Guard Box’ type area which bikes used to go into, thought notably that was a fully assembled bike, no idea about boxes at that point.

1 Like

That was my thought too as they still get scanned as luggage and have to fit certain dimensions but apparently they’re loaded on by a third party company or something.

Im not really sure they arent just confusing the terms “can’t be arsed” with “Brexit” as there seems no logical reason

2 Likes

Yeah, based on the EuroDispatch page it sounds (to me) a bit like 'rona and/or Brexit are a convenient way to stop doing something that was more hassle than return.

1 Like

This is a complete con that is pissing off a lot of people. A bagged bike does fit on the racks and as others have noted takes up the space of large luggage. No idea why they’ve adopted this approach.

There should be a minimum mandated amount of cycle spaces on trains and for one the length of Eurostar, it should be at least 12 which wouldn’t be difficult as the Eurostar trains are actually bigger than a standard UK one so wouldn’t take up much more room than a 2 banks of 4 table seats in standard class.

4 Likes

Yeah, but sovereignty, blue passports and cheap shoes. How on earth did the knuckle draggers take control?

1 Like

It has nothing to do with the way people voted that suited their own personal opinions and circumstances, it’s about companies using vague excuses for not providing a service that they don’t profit from but they can’t morally dispose of without reason.

9 Likes

Plenty of companies are doing that I think, or use them as an excuse to provide shite service.

2 Likes