Rant rant rant

Balls, just been inflating the tyres on the TT bike for the race tomorrow and the nipple on the rear tube has snapped off :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Have decided to just take the Enigma rather than risk it or change it now. It is probably open but I don’t want to be changing it if anything goes wrong.

Same thing happened to a tub the morning of IMUK a few years ago but I had to just go with it as I think it was a tub! That was a stressful ride :grimacing:

8 Likes

Easyjet cancelled flights between Inverness and Gatwick three days in a row recently. Being stuck at Gatwick couldn’t have been nice :laughing:

1 Like

It was horrendous!

… there’s this roundabout was like a lottery - install some lights you southern heathens - slingshotting off like a bunch of whack jobs. No patience, no manners

2 Likes

They mentioned something about being stuck in Inverness due to air traffic control or something. I was past caring by that point. I found some seats on the way to the gates in full sun so spent a pleasant 90 mins reading the papers. The main departure lounge was in chaos. It’s half the size it needs to be for that many people. And I was gutted about Wagamama closing. Next time it’ll be BA into Heathrow. Although they cancelled a flight earlier in the week as a colleague got rerouted via Manchester… complete faff.

So crappy travel but the view from my desk wasn’t too bad:

And I walked the commute to the conference in Park Lane and it was lovely.

14 Likes

I had a 5hr delay in Madrid once for an evening flight. I thought, ‘no worries it’s Spain, everything will stay open’. Did it fuck, all closed by 7pm, except for one massive sweet shop.

So come 11pm and we still hadn’t taken off, you had a couple of hundred very angry people fuelled up on sugar. :smile:

6 Likes

Airports breed really odd eating and drinking behaviour. I’d like to think people are not habitually drinking pints of Tennants at 6am in the morning. Or drinking vente lattes at 10pm at night.

6 Likes

Years ago in Oz, QANTAS and Ansett had a stranglehold on the market. Then lots of others started to muscle in, like Virgin, Tiger and a host of others from Asia.

There was a tv ad with a well known Aussie actor that said ‘I fly QANTAS because they know I like my paper in the morning and my beer in the evening’ :smile:

6 Likes

That’s a great slogan. BA should market themselves more high brow. “I fly BA because I don’t slap my kids and don’t have duck lips”. There were a lot of duck lips in Gatwick yesterday.

7 Likes

Throughout all of the years I’ve been coming to and living in Scotland I’ve never been brave enough to try Tennents. We’re away down south in a couple of weeks, maybe I should pop my cherry with an airport breakfast pint!

4 Likes

It’s disgusting, like eating a pint of marmite.

6 Likes

Perfect for breakfast then :+1:t4: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Collected a wheel chair from a friend. Noticed that the wheels were deflated. £2 spent at a petrol station failing to inflate no doubt due to not being the correct valve. A couple of phone calls and I found a friend en route to my destination who would have a bike pump. All pumped up. When I opened the chair up I noticed something under the seat: A pump!!! Facepalm!!!

14 Likes

Going out for an mtb ride with a mate. Wanted to watch Roth livestream before I leave.

My 13 year old MacBook picks today to completely shit itself. :rage: it’s been on death row for a while.

Bugger.

4 Likes

That is really annoying!

Yeah, I can catch up with Roth on my TV but the whole rebuild thing is annoying( if it can be rebuilt!)

More annoying is Belinda Granger!

1 Like

@Poet cool cooling towers though

4 Likes

Tell you fucking what - the trains in England and Scotland - what a big pile of fucking stinking shit.

GF was getting a connecting train today from Leicester to Peterborough, then change for train up to Edinburgh, with change for Glasgow

So - arrive at Leicester station. Train to Peterborough cancelled/ delayed - no idea could be an hour could never turn up. Branches on the line. No information…

So - I drive her to Peterborough for train to Edinburgh. Only about 40 miles away. Made it with 30 mins to spare

Connecting train from Edinburgh to Glasgow - cancelled, cancelled - bus layed on to Linlithgow where passengers get train to Glasgow… only the fucking train from there - has been fucking cancelled

Has to wait til 10:48 to get train. It’s only 9:30.

She’s now waiting there not knowing even if that fucking train will turn up. No one knows anything. No information. No communication. She could have just stayed in Ed overnight.

Some fucking service that.

I’m fucking raging :rage:

10 Likes

At my local Tescoes express they have a security guard. Short while back they installed cameras and screens at the end of each aslie.

Then they changed the self serve tills to have cameras and screens and Im sure they have remote monitoring.

Now they have installed a big camera on the way in that has a bright ring of LEDs round it annoucing its presence.

They have they alarms on the exit and tag the meat, wine and batteries.

Basically all the security they can manage. But what happens when you exit with a bottle of plonk and set off the alarm. Absolutely nothing, no one even flinches. I used to pause and look for confirmation im good. Now I dont even break stride.

Whats the point of of head office installing all this stuff if its all just ignored.

8 Likes

If it’s like mine, there’s an element of watching everyone/screening of folks. I’ve had the same as you, but I’ve also seen less shall we say… salubrious… looking folks be stopped

2 Likes