Rapha Festive 500

500km between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve. Anyone planning on doing it? I’ve signed up on Strava but if I get time for 200km I will be doing well.

No way I’m getting out for ride on Christmas/Boxing Day so no chance for me

1 Like

I have done it at least twice previously but struggling to motivate myself to get out that long atm, I’ll probably be running instead.

Unless we get a heatwave.

Jeff

1 Like

That’s a no from me

F***. That. Sh**.

I follow a few people on Strava who do it annually and have done for years, but they’re single and usually ride about 500km per week anyhow, so you know.

I’d rather eat, drink, sleep in, mooch about some pretty Cheshire villages, head into Derbyshire to find some snow and just not really think about anything.
I’ll be doing some vague exercise over the next three weeks, but nothing resembling training

EDIT: oh, how things change so quickly :man_shrugging:t4:

5 Likes

As long as the weather is half decent, I’ll probably do close to 500km over the Christmas period, but almost certainly not between 24th and 31st December. It’s unlikely that I’ll get a pass to do anything on Christmas day, we’re travelling back to London on the 27th and I’m back in work on the 30th and 31st. I did it last year because the dates fitted in better with my annual pilgrimage back to Yorkshire, but this year (and probably next year) it just doesn’t work.

Mrs W usually starts out with “yes, of course you can cycle every day over the Christmas holiday”. This soon turns into “make sure you’re back by X so that we can do Y” when X is significantly less time than you would like. Eventually it’s “you’re not going cycling today, are you?”, which is actually an instruction, not a question :rofl:.

7 Likes

There’s so little daylight this time of year too; it’s still not light out there now. So it’s not like you can go out at 6am for a few hours really.

This is definitely for the Audax bachelor crowd.

1 Like

Or the Southern Hemisphere

Really though, what is the point of this exercise; just a marketing gimmick for Rapha?

Winter miles, summer smiles…

More like spend January ill and grovelling to your family for not spending the festive period with them.

3 Likes

Like I say, it’s one for those people who are always posting YouTube vlogs of their latest epic ride or overnighter. I just live vicariously through them, and have a family instead :wink:

Not that my commute into work isn’t #epic

3 Likes

I see there’s a few of us signed up for this year’s event. As they are including virtual rides I take it more people will have a go.

I think allowing Zwift rides to count will be the game changer for most people. If you get a couple fo longer rides in on the road you can fill in the rest with shorter Zwift rides and still not have to ride every day.

Best I ever managed was 1025km between Boxing Day and NYD. Xmas day was always reserved for a surf.

Our old club used to do it and some of those riders would clock over 1300km.

4 Likes

Big mileage!

I’m going to aim for a combo of actual riding and Zwift.

Hopefully a long ride down to the in-laws in Hants on Christmas Eve

1 Like

Whereabouts in Hants?

Liss forest

Grew up there as a child!

Looks nice. I’d never heard of it.

Zwift rides counting is a load of cobblers.
The whole thing is about abandoning your family for the bike and freezing your nuts off for that embroidered roundel.

I’ve got permission to do it this year.
But I’ve only got five days in which to do it.

#tight

5 Likes

In between Petersfield and Liphook.

Nothing there. Army ranges in close proximity which a spent my youth on playing war :rofl:

2 Likes