Road World Cycling Championships

Mixed Team Time Trial on BBC at the moment. Love seeing all the teams from random small countries giving it everything. Tahiti currently on the top step of the podium and loving being there. :slight_smile:

Interesting concept though, Men’s team of 3 ride the 18k course, when they cross the finish line the Women’s team of 3 start. Time added together at the end.

7 Likes

Watched some of that, nasty crash for Van Vluten (sp?)
I was looking for the junior TTs at the weekend but with the TV blackout there was nothing at all on the Red Button.

1 Like

There are very short highlights on the UCI channel on YouTube.

2 Likes

Thanks, they might be on iplayer or BBC website somewhere if they’re covering it but haven’t looked yet.

1 Like

Looks like AvV’s crash was caused by an exploding front tubeless tyre, after the crash the tyre was completely off the rim with sealant everywhere

3 Likes

Yeah, she confirmed on her own Twitter account, the tyre exploded and caused the crash. She was off to hospital for x-rays, bruised and worried about elbow apparently.

2 Likes

The junior TTs were yesterday, weren’t they?

3 Likes

I remember seeing something on Twitter (maybe wasn’t the juniors) and looking to see if it was on the Red Button when the service was disabled due to the funeral but I’ve lost all track of time over the last week/weekend with being away from work then the funeral bank holiday etc. :thinking:

1 Like

BBC will probably only cover senior men’s and women’s events. You’ll need to go to Eurosport/GCN+ for everything else

2 Likes

Yeah, they’ve currently just got the senior TTs and the mixed team TT on the iPlayer

1 Like

Only the senior road races are in the schedule currently too, but I didn’t look further.

2 Likes

The timing of the races isn’t great from a viewer’s point of view in Europe.

I see there was a bit of controversy around the travel arrangements for some of the teams. The French sent their men’s team business class and everyone else economy. NZ made their riders pay their own travel costs. Presumably a lot of the NZ team would be racing for teams in Europe. The Irish haven’t sent a team at all.

1 Like

Van Vleuten broke her elbow in her crash today :flushed:

1 Like

Ouch, the replay did look like she hit the ground pretty hard. Still not clear if a jammed/dropped chain or something else. Hopefully a speedy recovery for her.

She managed a 60km ride today so not all bad

3 Likes

Cyclingnews reckons that her SRAm eTap unexpectedly shifted into the small ring, which threw her off balance and caused her to steer into the curb.

Just seen the last 40km of the Women’s race.

Wow.

3 Likes

Embarrassingly awful tactical naivity in the women’s road race final km

2 Likes

Superb ride by Zoe Backstedt in the junior race😎

7 Likes

Girl has a bright future. Forget Pidcock, she is the future of British Cycling.

4 Likes