Running Shoes

I’ve fallen for the marketing on the Nike 4% for race shoes. And then when there’s a discount code I’m always looking for a bargain which meant I bought some Nike daily and trail shoes. I think I’m going to look at some Saucony or NB for my next pair of daily running. I enjoyed Kinvaras in the past so might go back there. Trail/fell shoes I normally stick to Inov8s. I like to switch it up between low/high stack to keep my feet working but protected if I’m putting in a lot of miles on hard surface. My current roster is:

Altra Escalante 2 - daily runner with zero drop
Nike Air Zoom Alphafly Next% - race day
Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 37/38 - daily road
Nike Air Zoom Terra Kiger 6 - daily trail
Nike Vaporfly 4% Flyknit - triathlon race shoe
Inov-8 Mudclaw 275 - for when it’s sloppy
Inov-8 TerraUltra 260 - clunky trail shoe but prevents feet getting too wet
Inov-8 Trailtalon 235 - dry trail shoe - grips are rubbish and minimal cushioning
Inov-8 X-Talon 225 - well used fell shoe still use it for swimrun
Inov-8 X-Talon G210 - new race fell shoe

ASICS for road.

Salomon for trail.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about trying these…I miss my old 195s, but have grown to like the 210s…

too narrow…

Interesting comments by KB on strava

1 Like

That sounds remarkably like a sponsored athlete to me

4 Likes

Maybe. I guess I’m taking him at face value that he wasn’t sponsored by them until now. Although I can’t see why he’d lie about that timing when he does now admit he is currently sponsored by them??

Having followed him and Iden since meeting and speaking with them in Bahrain, it does seem like they’re generally on the pathway of using the best equipment and then trying to get paid to do so, not just using stuff simply because they are paid to

3 generations of Brooks Adrenaline GTS the last 3 years. Cant see me changing any time soon.
Also Have Brooks Launch for speed work and Treadmill sessions.

1 Like

that sounds remarkably like he won’t get another Nike contract for a while…

3 Likes

Until he says the latest generation of Nike’s have overtaken Asics in the development race and that’s why he’s switched back

2 Likes

Sorry to bump this one, does anyone have any recommendations for some ‘entry level’ race day shoes for using in sprints/aquathlons etc… this year?

I only have one pair of shoes at the moment, some Asics Cumulus 23s, so feel I should add a competition pair. I was snoozing during the Nike sale of would have tried some Pegasus 38s but spotted that Asics have HyperSpeeds on sale down to £60.

Even at top speeds I’m only getting down to 4:30 for 5ks and 4:55ish for 10ks just now, so splurging over £120 on a fancy pair with a carbon plate feels a bit ‘all the gear with no idea’.

The only thing holding me back on the Asics is my Cumulus which are on the whole super comfy have started to give me a blister on my right arch once I get to 8k or so, it seems to catch on something but can’t quite work out what - so worried thats a style issue that might impact me across their whole range. I’ve joined their free club thing so I get the better returns policy that will let me take them for a spin, so maybe I should just push the button.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about “all the gear, no idea”. It’s the very foundation age group triathlon is built on. Those shoes are the only things that are going to make a major difference.

Racing flats are lighter and have less drop, buy you’ll need to be used to them and I doubt you’ll see any great improvement in speed.

Regards blisters on your arch. This is something I get. I have very flat feet and so have orthotics and a netural shoe. New orthotics give me inters until they’ve given in a bit. Maybe your shoes have too much arch support

4 Likes

If you can find some on offer, the NB Fuelcell Rebel V2 is a good ‘do anything’ shoe.

1 Like

Thanks - definitely something to bear in mind re arch support for my next pair. Guess it wasn’t the sort of thing the guy in the running shop when I got them could have anticipated being an issue.

And noted on ‘all the gear’! I suppose budget is the main issue then!

Best time to get them as the gains are great (subject to usual caveats over form, of course)

1 Like

The running shoe log 2021:

Inov8 X Talon 210 25/12/21: Xmas pressie from me. Still shiny and unused.
Altra Escalante 2: 25/12/21: 2 km. To replace my current main shoe (albeit a little late).
Nike Zoom X Alphafly 06/06/21: 117 km. Easier to get on in transition with tabs (compared to other Nike %s), but clunky to wear. May go back to racing flats for T2.
Newton Boco Trail. 23/01/21: 241 km. Good for Derbyshire hills but designed for Californian trail and not the harsh grits and slates of the Peaks.
Merrell Bare Access 03/01/21: 31 km. Disappointing. Lacking flexibility and now used as a day shoe only.
Nike Zoom Tempo. 17/11/20: 223 km total; 156 km this year. Mix of track and road. Clumsy shoe.
Altra Escalante 2. 18/08/20: 878 km total; 645 km this year. Very versatile zero differential shoe.
Nike 4%. 01/09/19: 154 km total; 46 km this year, mostly racing and some track. Still feel very fast and my duathlon first run shoe of choice. If only i could get them on for tris.
Inov8 X Talon 200. 26/11/16: 570 km, 228 km this year, still going strong and a great off road shoe for trail and cross country. A great shoe.
Merrell Trail Glove. 25/11/18: 753 km total, 39 km this year including a rather rasj decision to wear them for a 34 km trail race. A great shoe.

4 Likes

What didn’t you like with the Peregrines?

They make my feet ache prematurely and feel pretty ‘clumpy’. I’ve tried them with different insoles and get the same result.

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks the Peregrines are clumsy shoes. I have a pair that did 2 runs and couldn’t get on with them

2 Likes

Good to hear. It really felt I was the only one!

1 Like