Salazar

I was thinking about this last night, especially on hearing Paula Radcliffe odd spouting about it. Salazar has been done for they could prove not (IMO) everything that he was doing. Checking glow times for testosterone gel would have only be done for exactly that, give athletes T knowing their glow times. They then know when they can and cannot hear a doorbell ring. But because no athlete tested positive for testosterone gel they cannot prove he did that.

Just for @Poet :wink:, anti-doping is like speeding. We all know that the footballer was doing 120mph in their sports car but if everyone hasnā€™t done all of their admin exactly right and the measuring device may not have been calibrated properly then Mr Loophole ensures they get off.

Basically they got Capone on tax evasion.

At best, the believers have to at least acept that, itā€™s similar to Team Sky/BC with the ā€˜pushing up against the lineā€™ or over it depending on whether you believe Wiggo has hayfever or Rupp really has a thyroid problem.

Have read the doc now - yes no smoking gun there but definitely shows a coach willing to attack any angle to get a benefit. Makes you wonder about what heā€™s saying and doing off the email record :thinking:

Radcliffe was embarrassing, although as a Nike ambassador and married to Moā€™s coach, not surprising.

1 Like

Iā€™ve skimmed over the report, mostly itā€™s him doing exploratory stuff looking for the limits. There is little more than I would expect from someone in his position.

Yeah, having only gone through some of it so far, that was my impression too. In the L-Carnitine example, they were looking for fast track measures to ramp up the absorption for one athlete, but all the correspondence seems to specifically state they canā€™t do it certain ways as it would not be wada compliant.

EDIT - the complication in the above example appears to have been they tried a fast track method, to test the outcomes studies had shown were available over months of standard consumption, on an assistant coach who was still technically entering the odd event. So I guess thatā€™s the line he crossed, as that is supplying/encouraging a competing athlete with an illegal protocol for infusion.

They just appear to be searching for the legal limits. No different to F1 engineers doing the same aerodynamically. If a certain supplement is not listed as illegal, then I personally donā€™t see the issue. As Iā€™ve said before, itā€™s no different to messing about with caffeine intake to try and benefit performance.

(I appreciate I havent yet read the full thing, so there may be stuff in there that is worse)

Is he FB Friends with Usain?

Come on, itā€™s not like thereā€™s a long history of 100m male champions doping is it?

1 Like

As long as he doesnā€™t make a comeback, he should be safe.

2 Likes

My perspective is that Salazar has been done for what they could prove but I be surprised if wasnā€™t doing more than this and actually doping his athletes with Dr Brownā€™s help. He seems a control freak so doubt an athlete would go rogue and do it without his knowledge.

This gives some more background than the IAAF decision. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/49853029

Are you not bit surprised though given the length of the investigation, witness available and the record of the investigator (guy who brought down lance) that so little is actually revealed?

Interesting article.

Separately, anyone else reading all of this and trying to figure out the proper way to supplement L-Carnitine?! It genuinely seems like the golden ticket to improved performance. But from what I have read, ignoring the infusion approach, you need to take it orally for 3-6 months to see the effects, and even then it seems to need a delivery method that is combined with carbohydrate. So simple L-Carnitine supplement pills donā€™t seem to do this trick. And I canā€™t find anything that suggests a recommended L-carnitine + CHO ingestion method.

The above is where I really see the black and white doping attitudes hard to fathom. The above is all legal. It was the infusion methodology to fast track the benefit used at NOP that wasnā€™t. Yet I am aware that the above is still effectively seeking to obtain a performance advantage over and above just simply making training gains. Yet as I say, itā€™s legal. In the same way there have been other threads on beta-alanine, and people taking other supplements like omega3, caffeine, protein, etc.

As you say it is obviously the method that is the problem. Like Salbutamol, if you take a puff and itā€™s all good, orally or injection and itā€™s action is very different and illegal.

Yep - but then I look at Hassan running a sub 4 minute 1500m at the back end of a 10000m at the worlds and itā€™s clear somethingā€™s amiss here. Moā€™s doorbell, working with Aden etc. etc.

Maybe the real bad stuff gets outsourced and they don;t all do it, maybe which explains why Rupp has never pulled up trees.

But then you think with Lance, it was the when the Feds were involved (because of the defrauding of US postal service) that the witnesses really started singing right? There was no such peril in this investigation.

2 Likes

Paulaā€™s take.

1 Like

What are the chances that anyone who won Olympic Gold or set a WR in the last 30 years in a running event werenā€™t doping?

I think youā€™ve got to accept that they were doping or treading the line, anything else is niave.

Thatā€™s a very cynical attitude to have.
And @Jorgan
Does that apply to all sports @Doka , or solely running?

The road.cc website is horrendous!
So many adverts.

Butā€¦the article states the findings were ā€œ1 in 1000ā€ of being normal. Ermā€¦how many athletes go to a world championship and are tested?
Maybe about a thousand.
Surely to be an elite level athlete you have to have an abnormality (read: advantage) anyhow (obviously taken into account with the findings) but then thereā€™s always someone (Caster Semenya) who is so far above everyone else, thatā€™s itā€™s abnormal.

Ouch.

Do you truly believe Usain is just ā€˜giftedā€™ given the stats?

Honestly donā€™t know what to think about my idols anymore, Iā€™ve always had a holier than thou expectation but Iā€™m coming to terms with the fact that this is unfortunately not realistic.

I have a VERY CYNICAL attitude. Unbelievable improvements and unbelievable performances are, quite simply, unbelievable.