Sean Conway Iron 102

There is a very good ultra runner called Gary Robbins, he has a massive beard. That guy could be 55 or 25, I have no idea :smile:

7 Likes

Presumably he likes doing these challenges under the radar and not having to deal with everyone shouting insults from the sidelines lol

2 Likes

45 apparently… Link - your post got me wondering, I was thinking younger, late 30’s.

1 Like

He has nearly 51k followers on Insta. Think he’d love more publicity and support, as this would presumably earn him more money!! At least he hasn’t set up a donating page yet - afaik

1 Like

He does tend to get on with these challenges quietly. like when he swam the length of GB, it wasn’t really picked up on until halfway through.

5 Likes

Looking at his Strava he’s based himself about 20/30mins from the swim spot, probably not a problem for him as he’ll just be sat in a passenger seat eating :croissant:. He has special access because it’s definitely locked up at 5am. The car park to lakeside is pretty rough, I’ll be interested to see what sort of bike he’s using from T1.

He seems to be winging it for his routes, happy to explore the area. Both bike routes so far are different & his run had a bit of off-road.

Despite being cynical about this sort of thing, the proximity of the challenge has certainly piqued my interest.

6 Likes

Your right, but sometimes I wonder if this is intentional or not. If he does these sorts of events for a living, then he needs the interest and attention from the public to make money. He comes across as being a very genuine and likable guy. I read the BBC article about his swim today, sounds awful all 4mths of it.

5 Likes

No idea how he scratches a ‘living’ out of this; I’m assuming it’s just him? IC apparently made a lot of money in Real Estate before his endurance exploits.

2 Likes

He’s written some books. Has sponsors etc - he must be doing ok … motivational speaker - there’s a buck in that racket isn’t there?

… Body double for that Norwegian actor?

3 Likes

He felt that yesterday’s swim was cold, unfortunately for him this morning was a few degrees colder still & his swim was 2:06.

4 Likes

I don’t know really; it’s a bit ‘at risk’ isn’t it, public speaking & books? Especially in the age of electronic books. A guy I went to uni with has written a few books on top of a full-time job, and I don’t think he’s raking it in!

Really I’m just wondering how people who obviously aren’t high profile ‘celebs’ keep everything above water when they’re doing this sort of stuff regularly.

2 Likes

Perhaps his other half earns the dough?

3 Likes

There is money to be made in the social media stuff. A couple of the running/exercise channels I watch the guys have given up the day jobs and gone “full time”. Ben Is Running has around 28k subscribers on YouTube and Mark Lewis has 150k. The later made a video on it, which I think suggests that at 100k it can earn enough to replace a ‘normal’ job.

3 Likes

I was browsing his insta.

3 Likes

“Joint owner in my wife’s business” = my wife works and pays the bills :rofl:

9 Likes

Could be a Sunak style relationship :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’m sure he’s great guy; but when I see people doing these things on a regular basis, I just think how self-engrossed it all is. Maybe family life has brainwashed me? :joy:

4 Likes

Wow, I’m surprised it’s a low as 100k Subscribers! I’d have thought maybe 1m plus. But I know nothing of these things.

My son watched some content from ‘Mr Beast’ for a while; he is a young guy with something like 97m Subscribers; one year he made $40m apparently :astonished:

1 Like

My dh likes looking into what YTubers can earn. It’s the numbers and analysing that interest him :sweat_smile: We just looked into the numbers of Martijn Doolaard (the Italian hut videos) he’s earning at present, from YT alone, on average 2350€ per month on an average of 90,000 views per day.

1 Like

Its also the brand deals that you get to post stuff on insta and youtube. My chiropractors daughter built up a 250k+ following on youtube and instagram to the point she was earning more than double what her mum was at 16-17 years old.

4 Likes