Sean Conway Iron 102

Personally, I just think becoming that ‘known’ is not for me. Unless you can do stuff anonymously, which obvs some channels do. Hearing my voice also gives me the massive cringe.

8 Likes

Agree. Also you’ve always got to be present and promoting yourself, because as soon as interest starts to wane, your income starts to decrease.

This is very common. I sound like a five year old on voice messages :rofl:

7 Likes

A lot depends on the clip length and amount of ads.

I’m hooked on ‘Davie504’ now, he’s a bass player and has 11m subs!

2 Likes

Yes this is true and I’m pretty sure Doolaard has optimised this aspect of YT, his long films have loads of ads.

According to Socialblade.com he’s Italy’s top YTuber. He has more than 2 million daily views and well yeh, he’s earning a good wage.
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/davie504

2 Likes
2 Likes

So for people like me who have YT Premium; instead of ad revenue, do YT pay them in-lieu?

I watch a lot of u-toob (as does my Son) and tbh Premium has been a game changer. I only pay £7 pcm via Vodafone. The main benefits for me, are no ads, screen off listening and being able to listen whilst browsing other apps. Never really use YT Music.

2 Likes

YT and Twitch are where the money is.
IG/FB/TT are more about getting brand recognition and sometimes sponsorship.

That said, I have made a whopping £219.53 (as of today) on Tik Tok

10 Likes

Short answer: Yes!
Long answer: https://alanspicer.com/do-youtubers-get-paid-if-you-have-youtube-premium/

1 Like

It’s crazy the money that some YouTubers are making, but you’ve got to wonder what the longevity of their income stream is going to be.

A bloke I know makes cycling-related videos. Three years ago he’d got up to 25,000 followers and gave up his job to do it full time (it probably helped that he’d inherited a house so didn’t have to worry about rent or mortgage :roll_eyes:). He reckoned he needed to make a 10 minute video nearly every day to maintain his views and keep up with the YouTube algorithms. Some of his stuff was fun and interesting, but a lot was just him meeting up with his mates (most of whom had their own YouTube channels) for a ride to a coffee shop and chatting about nothing in particular. It all just got a bit repetitive.

11 Likes

I’m a big fan of Loyd Purvis’ channel Run4Adventure. He’s done really well to get his channel to 20k subs but gave up managing a running shop to YT full time. I can’t see where the revenue is coming from.

3 Likes

Bringing this thread back on track - day 3 done👍 he’s not getting much sleep though.

4 Likes

Another 2hr swim this morning. I know he’s got to pace his effort but for someone who has swam the length of the country that must be putting him on the back foot every day.

6 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking!

1 Like

Yeah, I saw he said he only had 4 hours sleep between day 1 and 2…surely that’s not sustainable…

4 Likes

Just looked him up on Strava

His swim day 2 was 51 minutes!

5 Likes

Just looked at that swim, it was recorded on an iPhone which often seems to result in dodgy results…the moving time is a more realistic 1:34.

5 Likes

Right. That is odd, placed his phone in a tow float or similar?

3 Likes

Hmm, you’ve already used the word ‘dodgy’ on Day 2 :joy: Bodes well.

5 Likes

I’m not questioning his integrity, it’s just the random results that the iPhone app often seems to spaff out…how many CRs & KOMs seem to be set with them?

He seems to be Garminned up most of the time :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not saying he’s dodgy, just that the whole enterprise could easily be questioned if much of what he achieves from day-to-day is seen as slightly nebulous.

3 Likes