Shorts - Short shorts - Running

I’m looking for some new running shorts. Thought it was about time to replace the Karrimor shorts that I purchased from Sports Direct over 10 years ago for £5 (and received one of those massive mugs for free).

They have done exactly what I need, they’re light weight, material doesn’t absorb water & small zip pocket for a key and/or parkrun barcode.

Tried some of the SportsShoes own brand ones, but I found the lining was very tight, and prevented me from pulling them up (yes, call me Simon Cowell). Pulling them up as much as I could my boxer shorts band was showing above the shorts (a good inch of it), and that was with the lining then being very snug. I just didn’t find this comfortable.

Any recommendations for other shorts?

I have some of these which have a lycra inner and an outer short with pockets. I use them for rowing and general use in summer. Very comfy.

1 Like

I have loads of shorts, mainly Asics Performance. Some with zip pockets, some without. Some have built in liners, some don’t.

I have some Asics shorts that are quite long ( not Courtney long :wink:) that have no lining. Great for ultra stuff or even just hiking.

Also have some OMM Pace Short with pockets, they were ok, not great. They got relegated to stuff I keep at Mum’s. Also have a very light pair of OMM Sonics. They are made of recycled plastic and incredibly light bot have to be worn with a liner.

Overall though, hard to go past ASICS for the money and durability IMO

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. That being said, given my last pairs cost £5, I am reluctant to spend too much on shorts now! I think going past £25 is going to be difficult to justify.

These are my favourite shorts. Light and comfy

1 Like

I like the Ascis performance and my other favourite are the inov8 elite race shorts, proper old school simple inner and a zip pocket on the back for a phone or car key

2 Likes

I mainly use higher state which is sportsshoes own brand

2 Likes

It’s the Higher State race ones that I tried (both medium & large), and for me the lining is too small/short making the shorts sit too low on my hips for my liking. Makes me feel like a rapper with half my boxers showing and shorts hanging halfway down my legs.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, I misread your post and thought you said sports direct own brand.

1 Like

I’ve been through tonnes of shorts and am in desperate need of a few new pairs. Tried expensive and cheap and there seems to be no linear correlation!

I think my current faves are Craft, with the old school liner. Maybe 7 inch. I have a similar pair of new balance ones that are my faves ever, but they’re more hole than shorts now and I can’t seem to find the equivalent! They’ve been ace.

1 Like

I swear by these. Have about 6 pairs. Double as swim shorts when I’m away too. They do a couple of different lengths as well I think.

1 Like

I have bought these a couple of years ago in Lanza. Without doubt my favourite running shorts. Great elestic pockets (One on each leg and one at back), which are perfect for phone and Gels. They don’t rub and are always comfortable

3 Likes

The design is nice but I’ve been disappointed with the wear. Maybe my legs are too fat? :rofl:

Short shorts rock

1 Like

There’s no mention of a zip. A (small) zip pocket is an essential must have.

2 Likes

I just checked my 10cm version, I thought there was no pocket at all.

There is a rear, inside pouch about 5x5cm you could get a key or maybe a gel into. YMMV.

1 Like

not unless you’re built like a brick shithouse like me :wink:

3 Likes

I like the Inov-8 Race Elite shorts, the material is really nice and they have a zip pocket at the back. Looking at the price though they are expensive. Got mine in the sale, I’m sure you can find a bargain somewhere though :blush:

2 Likes

I picked up my pairs of Inov8 shorts around £25 from Sportshoes and Pete Bland sales.

2 Likes

Pete Bland is a great shop👍

1 Like