Sport Science...a Tin Pot of recommendations to ignore

Sod that!
Sainsbury’s often sell 6 for 19p after 6pm.

Trotter meat it may be, but they’re delicious

2 Likes

So is the reason why people do these sessions , to train the body to use more fat?

In other words if I don’t do this type of training and do an Ironman then I will require X calories. However if I do this type of training then, all other things being equal, I will still require X calories but a higher percentage will come from my fat stores?

Is that too simplistic?

Essentially, if you’ve eaten a meal and this is your first session since that meal…it’s not really glycogen depleted. Unless you had steamed fish :laughing:

2 Likes

If I do a session and I’ve not ate for a bit, I get HANGRY.
Then a bit annoyed.
And can’t be arsed with the session.

But I’m quite plump, but I’ve found I can still be okay and not worry about my weight too much.
I’ll probably have some LDL issue or something, but that’s for ten years time, not now.

2 Likes

Fairly sure there’s been good research showing a reversal of T2D using it. Might not work for everyone but must be worth a try.

1 Like

Sort of. In practical terms, you store more glycogen in the muscle and at IM levels you can utilise more fat, preserving the glycogen a bit. Because of the improved efficiency they more readily convert fat and glycogen into energy meaning the muscle can do more, so you’re fitter/faster.

You don’t have to do delpeted/fasted training though, lots of aerobic work also produces these benefits. The odd depleted session just improves it a bit more than if you had carbs. IIRC Doing work around threshold or above is most effective at increasing mitochondrial density and aerobic work is best at improving mitchondrial enzyme concentration making them more efficient.

1 Like

At the risk of being the source of much amusement, I follow Effortless Swimming on face book. Following my previous Questions regarding swimming, I’m aware that the Effortless part is bollocks. However, They do a daily underwater analysis Video which I found really useful, even though it was other people’s stroke being analysed.

1 Like

I’ve followed him for a while. Some good learning opportunities. I always like watching videos being analysed and doing them myself doing although Swim Englands way is to fully describe the actions rather than highlight the faults. It helps understand the mechanics better before addressing what is actually causing the issues,

1 Like

Ridden a PC equipped bike on the road once. It was ‘odd’

2 Likes

This!

I am not a nice person to be around when I’m hungry. And I eat a lot. When I’m training hard, I really eat a lot!

1 Like

Back on topic… Google Bro Science.

You can thank me later.

My favourite, from a few years ago, was two lads on the squat rack in my local gym.
At the top of the rep, his mate fed him parts of a boiled egg. Immediate protein.

6 Likes

:joy:

You were doing so well…

1 Like

Careful…

I’m still giggling about this :rofl:

I remember being in Holland & Barrett a few years ago and 2 scroats were talking to the assistant about protein. One of them said to the other something like this,

If you take this, you only need to do a few situps and pressups a day and you’ll be ripped & massive :roll_eyes: :thinking:

3 Likes

Brilliant, isn’t it!?

I think there’s a Facebook page of other such stories!

1 Like

Glycogen can be replenished without any carbs though, so I don’t buy that overnight fast even without exercise will be glycogen depleted - there may well be less, and certainly no super compensation - but there will be glycogen available surely?

Of course, some replenishment takes place but that a good amount has been used and not replaced. You need glycogen present otherwise you can’t metabolise fat.

That’s the hard part because everyone appears to have a slight variation in their response…and a slight variation in recovery etc…

1 Like

Got some Power Cranks in the shed if anyone is interested :wink: