Sports Casual

Lonsdale, This is worn by most of South London init

I associated Lonsdale with boxing years ago; but now it’s just another cheap Sports Direct brand. Karrimor used to be top quality kit in the 80s; lifetime guarantee on their rucksacks made in the UK.

Slazenger, Karrimor, Muddy Fox all now cheap SD low quality… what else?

lot of poor quality reebok crap in our local one. Last time i went in there was for some adidas tracksuit bottoms for coaching. Identical brand and style, The L were bigger than the XL! I gather they only have “seconds” in store!

I don’t know much about Karrimor but I thought OMM bought them out, or was that just the running side of things?

Karrimor the clothing/equipment brand went bust and the name is now owned by Sports Direct (alongside many other brands).

KIMM (Karrimor International Mountain Marathon) became OMM (Original Mountain Marathon) after Karrimor went bust. OMM have now started their own clothing/equipment brand.

4 Likes

I’ve looked at big brand trainers there before but not been able to find the particular model anywhere else when I’ve tried to google them. I wonder if their buying power is now sufficient to get the big brands to make lower spec models specifically for them. (A bit like Poundland do with specific sizes of product for them to sell that are different to every other outlet giving the impression that £1 is a bargain)

I don’t really enjoy trail running, but LadyFlasheart does, so I bought a pair of Karrimor off road shoes, just for the odd trip out with her, pretty much their top model, around 50 as I recall.

I didn’t run for two weeks afterwards, they pretty much crippled me.

Only real time I go in SD is the odd occasion I’ve picked up a pair of runners ordered online from Sweatshop. Although they’ve also gone downhill since the buyout. I used to have a branch opposite my flat, which is how I got into running, but SD shut them almost immediately after acquisition. It’s now a fetish store :man_facepalming: Possibly one for the rant thread!

We get the odd bit of hockey stuff for the kids in SD, but I like to avoid the place generally. Oh, we did get our daughter a Kangol suitcase in there for a school trip recently.

I’ve only been in a SD once (Newbury), I was looking for something warm to wear on my legs pre/post race but wanted something with a zip on the legs to get over trainers. Couldn’t find that but I did pick a pair of those Sodico (sp) undershorts which were something like £14 for two.

They’ve been great TBH

That comment made me smile, as I have a similar cascade system in place.

However, this worked much better when I was running a LOT more than I am today.

The cascade theory was simple:

Running >>> Sports Casual >>> Working (Gardening, DIY, car work, etc.)

Unfortunately, the lack of wear from recent running has led to excessive wear in the older ones. :roll_eyes:

Cheers, Paul. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

haha!! snap - but the opposite problem!

My trail shoes tend to have to go straight to the bin, as they’re battered at point of retirement. but i do now have a pile of Nike pegs that are retired from running, but i’m ot getting through them in casual terms at all fast enough (as i’m normally in flip flops/Toms). So i have a large stockpile of potential gardening shoes!

What team was it the hobbit was supporting in that? :rofl: It was quite funny but rubbish at the same time. I love that 80’s casual website, I don’t remember too much of people wearing full matching tracksuits, more the jacket, t-shirts with jeans, cords or even Farah slacks. Then there was the Lyle & Scott and Pringle knitwear too

2 Likes

In Plymouth the ‘casuals’ were called the TCE (The Central Element) they used to wear beanie hats, Barbours & scarves iirc.

Farah and Pringle, now that brings back memories :smiley:

4 Likes

With Adidas Samba

2 Likes

Green Street Elite :joy:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Would wear Pod shoes with them as well.

I still remember a school trip to the zoo where a group of kids clothed in accordance with this thread were goading the gorillas and clearly aggravating them. In a split second a gorilla picked up a huge pile of sh1t and launched it at them hitting one lad square in the chest on his brand new Pringle sweater on it’s first outing. Hilarious!
@chickenboy may have been there too.

7 Likes