Steak

It’s extremely rare I eat steak, even in Oz I rarely had it at BBQs and they are the steak kings (and queens).

I think (but not sure) the last time I had steak was in Argentina, on a ranch back in 2002.

1 Like

Errr really??? Careful there. You’ve not been to South Africa :wink:

You’ve not been to Oz :wink:

I always find myself eating way too much steak whenever I’m in South Africa and then I come home and am disappointed by the overpriced, lower quality excuse for steak that most restaurants serve here.

2 Likes

No I haven’t. But I also haven’t declared they’re the king of steaks. Not been to Argentina either or Japan. So I really can’t make those sweeping statements :wink:

This thread has reminded me of that. I often have steak when I go out for a meal, mostly because I don’t eat out often so it’s a treat. And I can probably name only 1 (maybe 2) place with a memorable steak.

1 Like

What you have to realise is that when you’re Australian, nobody in the world can do anything better than an Aussie can do it. This is a fundamental part of assimilation!

I don’t know if their steaks are any better than anybody else’s. I only typed to see how quickly you would respond :smile: :fishing_pole_and_fish:

I was a vegetarian for my first 7years in Oz, which in the early 80’s was akin to saying ‘I’d like to embark on a slow, hungry death’!

very rarely eat steak partly because I have yet to find any that matches the beef we had in Argentina many years ago (and I refuse to pay the UK prices for it over here).

if I do eat steak it it tends to be in France as I prefer the way they cut their meat and preferably cooked over a wood fire

Hell yeah! ME inspired.

1 Like

Asado in Argentina is pretty amazing. I stayed on a ranch for a weekend. It was one of those ‘life memories’ :+1:

It’s disappearing from my restaurant meal choice. Mostly because I’m better at cooking it myself these days.

There’s the most random meat restaurant in Cherbourg that does amazing meat dishes cooked on an open fire in the restaurant. If you’re catching the ferry to there and staying nearby give it a visit. La Pantagruel - in the centre of the town. Used to go there for work and always went there for a meal.

2 Likes

Wasn’t there some really good Argentinian steak place in London somewhere? I remember seeing it on a programme a while back. All cooked over coals while you wait type thing.

Yeah i don’t often get it when i’m out, as you pay way over the odds for something that’s not that brilliant. Which is why i treat myself every few months at home, as i know i can cook it just fine.

Now, back to the ‘where in the world have you eaten the best steak’ private parts waving! :rofl:

I had an absolutely fantastic Zebra steak in a restauarant in Windoek in Namibia many moons ago. Still burns strong in my memory that one, it was delicious.

3 Likes

Not steak related but you mentioned Namibia. Have you seen Jeff Pelletier’s YT series on his Namib ultra?

Nope, don’t really watch stuff on YT tbh.

I have seen bits about that race though, looks pretty cool and i loved Namibia. One of my favourite countries i’ve been to. Weirdly was singing its’ praises yesterday to a mate on our run last night.

No. That’s Salt Bae.
Gold leaf steak. Utter bilge.

I visited Hawksmoor and had a steak, with triple cooked “marrow” chips and bone marrow gravy.

They steak was abysmal. The chips and gravy were divine.

The multiple restaurant staff could not comprehend that we did not want an alcoholic drink. I am driving, my wife isn’t drinking either. Just fill up the table water, FFS :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Pisses me right off that. I rarely drink alcohol with a meal out.

1 Like

Oi, f* off Ottofungi

2 Likes

No, no, no. This was years ago. Way before that waste of space.

Maybe it doesn’t exist any more, as i can’t find it on Google. It was a good few years back. Sure it was on some TV show where a bunch of different restaurants were competing for some prize, fronted by one of the big TV chefs.

Similar to this: http://www.constancia.co.uk/

But don’t think that was the one. Can’t recall enough detail to join the dots in my head.

2 Likes

I’ve been taken to ‘41’ a few times in Sydney. It’s the most pretentious BS place you’ve ever seen but suppliers think you’ll be impressed. They can’t compute that you don’t want a wine sampler with all 10 courses, or any of them really.

The toilets were the best bit, they have this kind of glass floor that makes it seem like you’re pissing down on people 41 floors below (it was actually on level 42)

1 Like

You know full well why they’re pushing it!!

MARGIN

2 Likes

Ha ha ha :see_no_evil:

We had a tasting menu at a * place, they asked how one of the courses was - me being me just said “that cauli was overcharred and left a bitter taste, which ruined the pedal barley taste”

Next thing the chef is sat down with us explaining how it was charred like that to complement the wine flight.

Erm, yeah, no. Fuck off.

5 Likes