Steak

Haha, that’s why you just sit, nod your head and say ‘yeah it was lovely’. Then have a good moan about it afterwards! :rofl:

6 Likes

on TripAdvisor :rofl:

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, the rest of the meal was bloody lovely, the staff were great (to the point, at the end of the meal, when my wife asked for a Diet Coke and we watched the server exit the building and walk across the road to buy a can from the newsagent​:rofl::see_no_evil:)

Just don’t push the booze on me :+1:t3:

Anyways, steak…I’m hankering after one now

1 Like

maybe Gaucho

not cheap but very good - have eaten at one of them but at the prices they charge wouldn’t again

I actually like the Courtpaille chain - they cook their meat over an open wooden fire. Not the best you can get but it’s OK when you’re hungry. There was one opposite our place in Chamonix so we headed there after a long drive from home

1 Like

And good old Buffalo Grill. Much derided but much loved by the Tour journalists and various hangers on in the caravane.

actually never eaten in one of them although seen hundreds!

Working…in the office…no time to gab with you lot…

2 Likes

Pfft. Sounds amazing. :heart_eyes:

I do remember when we had steak in the house last. I didn’t have any of course but just after LO was born, Mrs FP dropped some weight and ended up 3kgs lower than her pre pregnancy weight at 47kgs.

We had to build her and had a dietician appointed. Bottom line was she was fed like an aspiring weightlifter and it included a lot of steak, which I had to cook.

She lived. :smile:

2 Likes

I think most places cook a steak while you wait.

I’ve had a ludicrously priced fillet steak in some wanky new york restaurant ($500+), it was average, I would never buy steak at a restaurant for myself, too much markup for little skill required for the chef. Pay other people for things you can’t do yourself.

3 Likes

Totally agree with that. And yes, i thought the same when i typed the first quote! haha.

I think the discussions on here prove that cooking a steak may be actually the most underrated skill for a chef. It is definitely a skill - starting with choosing the right cut and quality to presenting it correctly on the right temperature plate.

There’s a pub in Sydney, called The Oaks at Neutral Bay. For a pub steak it’s FO expensive and you have to cook it yourself! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Its one of the reasons why I dont like eating out much any more. I love a steak, but so many places just simply cant cook the bloody thing properly. Badly seasoned (i.e. not enough) and its always over cooked. I ordered a steak sandwich in a fancy gastro pub, had been there before. Asked for it rare, snotty waitress said we recommend that cooked medium. I said I know, Im asking for it rare as that gives a better chance of it turning up medium

4 Likes

I’m a bit spoilt when it comes to steak as one of my best mates is a butcher specializing in dry aged beef, and his unit is just round the corner from my house and I have my own key! He supplies a lot of top chefs and restaurants, so it’s turned me into a bit of snob and will rarely eat steak when out unless it’s one of his. The difference in depth of flavour compared to supermarket/standard beef is really noticeable, and it’s been great to try lots of different cuts which I normally wouldn’t get; my favourite currently is onglet, which is easy to cook (hot and fast, with a long rest) and you don’t often see in restaurants.

That said I’m going to his house tonight for some and we’ll probably just end up eating burgers (albeit made with his aged mince)

2 Likes

Totally agree. I never order steak at a restaurant unless there is really no other option that I want. I can do a very good job at home. I’ll always go for something I can’t or would struggle to cook well at home.

I went to an Argentinian steak house in Bodo Norway; imagine how expensive that was! It was okay though, because ‘you lot’ were paying on that trip. You thought it was all snow holes and eating fatty candles :sweat_smile:

(actually GB, you probably weren’t a taxpayer back then :wink:)

5 Likes

There used to be a place in York (25+ years ago?) called something like “Hot Rocks” where they literally brought you your raw meat and a hot slab of rock and you had to cook the meat yourself on the rock.

I don’t think it lasted very long - Yorkshire folk don’t tend to go for faddy food :rofl:

3 Likes

Mum tried to cook Dad lasagne once and he refused to accept that the meat and veg were all in one magical dish. She didn’t try again. That’s Somerset in the 70s for ya :smile:

2 Likes