Strength training

I don’t think they really give that much use once you can do a static Plank for a minute compared to 5 minutes.
I like the concept of planks/stability (know that’s also slightly controversial in some fields) but prefer to do dynamic stuff like @pacha described, deadbugs, moving planks, overhead Squat etc

3 Likes

I’ve found some physios have strong opinions on certain things without much to back it up.

I’ve have flat feet. A physio referred me to podiatry and I’ve work orthotics ever since. Never had the same injury since. But then another physio I had for something else recoiled in horror at them.

3 Likes

We were taught 2mins then do multiple sets of them, or lift a leg/arm/both alternate sides or same sides. Add it to a range and include press up (hold them) . Sides you can lift arms legs or do a tuck under as well. Basically mix it up something doesn’t get boring and the body is kept guessing and developing.

3 Likes

Overhead press, bench, squat all engage “core” when done right, as does SBR. I see plank more as a measure of abdominal strength than a training exercise.

And like technique, surely you need a flaw in “core” strength before needing to work on it…

Moving in and out of balance and back in again is where planks and side planks are beneficial. With other derivatives as above, they also make useful quick sessions where time and equipment are limited

5 Likes

I can’t think of any time that more strength wouldn’t be beneficial.
Yes it might not be someone’s biggest limiter and hence not worth giving up limited training time to improve in some cases, but given that gym strength helps swim, bike, and run I tend to think it’s a good return of investment for most people.

2 Likes

Agree. I was trying to say that I don’t think there’s much overall benefit in improving a static Plank pb from 3:30 to 4 minutes, I don’t think that likely translates to an improvement in SBR performance which generally needs dynamic balance as @ejc says.
Eg swim body position whilst moving arms and legs, and rotating, hips not wiggling everywhere, or sagging each time you breath. Holding aero still upper body bike position despite applying force through legs, or hips not collapsing when running under fatigue on each landing.

4 Likes

It’s the concept of Strong Enough.

More is not always better, more is often a waste of time.

Sometimes…

But I don’t know many runners (elite included) who don’t benefit from targeted S&C…

3 Likes

So far the physio I’ve been to for hamstring and now heel has been very good. He’s a runner himself. The vibe I get is he’s very no-nonsense. Quite austere. He comes well recommended. He doesn’t think much to my devil may care run til I bonk philosophy lol :laughing:

I did the BTF S&C CPD a couple weeks ago with Scott Murray. Brilliant day of learning. Scott is a nice guy, ended up down a few rabbit holes. In person courses are so much better!

This is key, how many people can even stand on one leg without wobbling about let alone single leg squats etc. Balance is massive and something you can work on cooking tea or cleaning your teeth.

2 Likes

Learned that stuff when I was a kid. Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan stuff.

People still freak out when I pick up stuff with my feet, like it’s weird. Maybe it’s a repressed sexual thing, trotters anyone?

Known Scott for years…

Rabbit holes are worth going down coz that’s where you find out what works…

3 Likes

One of the best educators I’ve had across all sports, so knowledgeable but really personable as well. We even went down the carbon shoe for kids rabbit hole at lunchtime, due to him working with the academy in his region. Reminded me how bad zoom is in comparison, just don’t get the same group interaction or dynamics.

I think that’s quite close to saying more endurance fitness isn’t always better.

Yes more training isn’t always better if it compromises training elsewhere and prevents you improving other limiters* but in terms of just more strength not being better I don’t see it. More strength = greater distance per stroke/pedal revolution/stride.

• and even then, I agree with @explorerJC that most athletes do in fact benefit with some strength training at the expense of some endurance training as part of their programme.

I especially think this for the general person in terms of promoting overall health, but that’s a separate argument. Even just focusing on SBR performance I still think it’s nearly always beneficial.

4 Likes

What would be a good routine to work on my glutes? Ideally without any equipment. My running form is pretty rubbish because my hip drops.

At the moment I just do the occasional squat.

In fact, if anyone has a good reference for strength training exercises for running in general that’d be great.

1 Like

Body weight squats and lunges are good for glutes. Also glute bridges dont need equipment.

Squats I would say are the best because they hit all the main upper leg muscles. Glutes, hamstrings and quads

3 Likes

Thanks, do you use weights when squating? I’ll take a look at glute bridges :peach:

1 Like

I do yes, I have a power rack in the garage with an Olympic barbell

The important thing with squats and bridges when targeting the glutes is to squeeze those butt cheeks together

2 Likes