Strength training

I know - but it’s about longevity and staying injury free I guess isn’t it

I really enjoy it, always have.

2 Likes

Here’s a question. When physio asked if I was doing any other strength training I said not really, just a few planks. He scoffed and said they’re useless. Unless you’re standing up for a longtime…

I agree that I should be doing more specific sessions, but online (ok not that it’s gospel lol) loads of folk saying it is useful for runners.

1 Like

The motivator for me should be long term mobility etc etc but if I’m honest, it’s the fear of DNF and not being able to know if the body will hold up for the distance.

I’m very shallow :smiley:

Are you specifically talking about the plank here or strength work in general?

side planks are better and give more progression possibilities, but not sure why he’d say that.

3 Likes

I agree with @Hammerer that side planks are more useful but plank allows for progression too. IMO it should be hands and feet not elbows and feet to be a plank. But then you can lift a hand and/or foot, lift a weight, reposition a weight. Once you can hold a plank for a while, being static for longer is of little benefit IMO. Dead bugs are better and allow for more progression. If doing minimal on this I would do dead bugs and side plank, and progress each as I improve.

4 Likes

:face_with_monocle:

I don’t think they really give that much use once you can do a static Plank for a minute compared to 5 minutes.
I like the concept of planks/stability (know that’s also slightly controversial in some fields) but prefer to do dynamic stuff like @pacha described, deadbugs, moving planks, overhead Squat etc

3 Likes

I’ve found some physios have strong opinions on certain things without much to back it up.

I’ve have flat feet. A physio referred me to podiatry and I’ve work orthotics ever since. Never had the same injury since. But then another physio I had for something else recoiled in horror at them.

3 Likes

We were taught 2mins then do multiple sets of them, or lift a leg/arm/both alternate sides or same sides. Add it to a range and include press up (hold them) . Sides you can lift arms legs or do a tuck under as well. Basically mix it up something doesn’t get boring and the body is kept guessing and developing.

3 Likes

Overhead press, bench, squat all engage “core” when done right, as does SBR. I see plank more as a measure of abdominal strength than a training exercise.

And like technique, surely you need a flaw in “core” strength before needing to work on it…

Moving in and out of balance and back in again is where planks and side planks are beneficial. With other derivatives as above, they also make useful quick sessions where time and equipment are limited

5 Likes

I can’t think of any time that more strength wouldn’t be beneficial.
Yes it might not be someone’s biggest limiter and hence not worth giving up limited training time to improve in some cases, but given that gym strength helps swim, bike, and run I tend to think it’s a good return of investment for most people.

2 Likes

Agree. I was trying to say that I don’t think there’s much overall benefit in improving a static Plank pb from 3:30 to 4 minutes, I don’t think that likely translates to an improvement in SBR performance which generally needs dynamic balance as @ejc says.
Eg swim body position whilst moving arms and legs, and rotating, hips not wiggling everywhere, or sagging each time you breath. Holding aero still upper body bike position despite applying force through legs, or hips not collapsing when running under fatigue on each landing.

4 Likes

It’s the concept of Strong Enough.

More is not always better, more is often a waste of time.

Sometimes…

But I don’t know many runners (elite included) who don’t benefit from targeted S&C…

3 Likes

So far the physio I’ve been to for hamstring and now heel has been very good. He’s a runner himself. The vibe I get is he’s very no-nonsense. Quite austere. He comes well recommended. He doesn’t think much to my devil may care run til I bonk philosophy lol :laughing:

I did the BTF S&C CPD a couple weeks ago with Scott Murray. Brilliant day of learning. Scott is a nice guy, ended up down a few rabbit holes. In person courses are so much better!

This is key, how many people can even stand on one leg without wobbling about let alone single leg squats etc. Balance is massive and something you can work on cooking tea or cleaning your teeth.

2 Likes