Sunnies

Yeah I go either way with running. Nearly always have a hat in summer anyway because I don’t have much hair.

another fan of Rudy Project here - had a pair since 2007 and still going strong although not worn so often these days.

for “leisure” use - SunGod - as mentioned in the OP by @FatPom. I have a pair of Renegades - they really are very very good.

1 Like

Casual - Oakley Holbrooks or Hawkers if there is a high chance I’ll loose them (eg boozy afternoon/night)
Run, Bike (MTB or Road) - Oakley Sutro rip offs (Aliexpress) they are actually pretty good but I am debating getting some genuine ones as they do suit me and the knocks offs have had a lot of use already.

I’m tempted to get a pair of sunnies from these guys. they’re made from ocean plastic and one style - Harlyn - is 3D printed from 100% recycled Cornish gill nets supplied by a company called Fishy Filaments which we have a small stake in - https://fishyfilaments.com/

1 Like

Tom Ford which I have realised are now a decade old and a pair of Zeal Optical, sister brand to Maui Jim (my pair of those fell apart eventually).

It helps having a family member in the industry but unfortunately they don’t stock Oakley, hence me never owning a pair of them.

I used some fakes for a while, but after someone mentioned it to me, the key concern was what would happen if I had a crash. Would then be shatter resistant, like the cheapo safety glasses Jorgan has mentioned, and like made for purpose sports shades from a reputable company, or could they disintegrate into loads of tiny pieces. Once I had that uncertainty, and the thought of shards of plastic into my eyes, buying some full price ones for cycling was a pretty easy decision.

The likelihood is, the same factory are making the fakes as the real ones. But you just don’t know.

For winter commuting, I also have some clear DIY safety glasses.

Interesting you mention Tom Ford. Mrs FP had a pair for 6 yrs and they were about £220 back then. They’ve just broke and the shop where we bought said the TF have a half price replacement.

Not happy they broke but it was when LO was really small and was pulling them off of Mrs FP’s face a lot. We’ve gone for the replacement, same model for £110.

Just googled Oakley Holbrooks - I reckon they’d look alright on me. Would need to be a loud colour though!

Cheap ones for me, as I constantly lose or break them. I’ve now settled on Bloc. They seem to be a decent mix of cheap enough to not worry buying them every couple of years, but decent enough quality still.

Also, I have a very small head. So not many glasses suit me, whereas the Bloc’s run pretty small.

Don’t like running in sunnies. So hat if I must, but I also don’t like them very much either.

Got some cheapish cycling ones that looks look shit. Probs go down the b&q route next time for them. They just need to be functional.

Had two pairs, thoroughly recommend!

1 Like

They’re about the only casual shades I’ve ever liked the look of on my face. I have a rather dull matt olive green pair though!

1 Like

Oakley Field Jackets, Jaw Breakers and half Jackets for me. Casual glasses are prescription half jackets with world’s most expensive lenses (according to my wife)

Found my Oakleys packed inside my cycling shoes. Thought I’d lost them in final few days of packing and was working up the courage to tell the gf that now that I’m actually going to need them, I’d lost them. Was wearing the cheapest pair from wiggle until she bought me them 2 weeks before IMUK.

5 Likes

After some new sunnies for casual wear and like the look of the oakley thinlink

Any recommendations regarding polarised lenses vs non polarised?

£20 extra for the polarised.

Polarised is good when there’s glare like water on the road. I think the extra is worth it.

1 Like

Most of my casual pairs are polarised. Windscreens and headlights turn a different colour if you’re driving :wink:

2 Likes

Polarised 100%. Definitely worth it. My cycling glasses aren’t and it pisses me off!

2 Likes

Most of mine are Polarized; I do find you get a weird light off stuff though, especially drain covers for some reason. I also find that Oakley lens coatings seem to start peeling at the edges after a few years too; especially if they’re half-frames.

Really important to rinse them off after sweating on them too.

2 Likes

Wondering what the polarized are like for reading in, do they make the pages quite dark?

Also have heard they can make phone screens hard to see.

2 Likes

Yes, great point; I have to remove mine every time I look at my phone!

2 Likes