Supplements/Protein

Just wondering if you guys take anything after a session or add take on any additional protein through the day?

Over and above my food which is fairly good for protein, I probably add around 30g a day in powder. Not sure it’s actually doing me any good, thinking it may be contributing to the extra kg’s I’m carrying.

Training is a mix of running, cycling/wattbike and strength/core. No session currently over an hour long. Runs are all done in zone 2, cycling a mix of zone 2 or hiit. Strength work all kettlebells just now.

Yes I use a powder. Mostly because of my size trying to get xg per kilo it’s easy to down 20g after a workout.

1 Like

Personally, no. I used to take protein powder when lifting 4x a week for American football, but now there’s no real need. If I do a seriously long session then I might have a bar immediately after with some protein in, just to stop any potential muscle being cannibalised, but it’s probably not necessary.

If you’re not doing any sessions over an hour, and you’re aiming for endurance gains, then I’m not sure I really see the point. Happy for others to tell me I’m wrong though.

As for other supplements, I take quite a few. As referenced in my malaga marathon race report (on here, and in my blog)

1 Like

I do have a whey protein shake at work every morning, when I went to see someone about my running gait a few years ago I got him to look at my diet as well. I know I’m a lazy eater, he suggested that with all the training I\we are doing we should be getting quite a bit of protein in, and that whey type shakes are a good source.

I do also have a multi-vit etc and magnesium. And vitamin D which we all need during UK winters, even the government backs that.

A lot can be obtained from the diet, but some is a struggle unless you are really good & motivated, but if we are training hard there is some scope for more. Although it’s a debatable point over-farming and poorly nourished soil etc. with all the chemicals they spray is probably reducing the quality of nutrients in them anyway.

1 Like

There’s actually a thread on Slowtwitch about resveratrol, it seems to be gaining some research momentum ATM. I think it’s billed as an anti-inflammatory and possibly good against forms of cancer, but other research suggests it could help some types of cancer if I’ve read it right or certain dosages.

Someone on ST thinks it’s working for him though.

1 Like

Think there is an argument as well that its worth taking all year. I work in an office and when I do venture outside for training I wear sunscreen which prevents absorption.

I take a lower dose in summer, strong in winter. It is possible to OD on Vit D as its fat soluble, but I guess you would need a lot.

1 Like

I take Vit D every day as I work in an office, along with multi vits. Diet is ok for fruit and veg as I make up a smoothie every day packed with veggies and pretty much salad with lunch every day.

My thinking on extra protein is that training breaks down muscle and they need the extra to repair. Can be difficult to get enough via food.

2 Likes

After a long run I always have a protein shake as soon as I get back home then make myself some decent food.

1 Like

Quite enjoy a pint of milk after a long ride/run

4 Likes

True, I drink a lot of milk. And eat quite a lot of eggs. An omelette is a staple quick and easy meal after a long session

1 Like

I quite enjoy or a pint of beer or 10 after a ride. Not sure of the performance benefits.

4 Likes

I’m trying to add a bit of strength so adding some weights and core stuff that I neglected before and follow each session with some whey protein…only five weeks in and unsure as to the benefits but will persevere.

1 Like

I’m on an 8 week ‘challenge’ with the F45 classes i’ve been doing. This involves an (optional) dietary plan which includes daily protein powder.I bought a whey based powder. No idea if its doing much but i would say, added to yoghurt and other foods it certainly ‘fleshes’ them out to the point that i’ve really not been getting hungry… despite training every day and eating less than 2500 cals. The diet is very low in refined carbs and high in fat/protein. My weight and bf% dropped very quickly in the first 2 weeks although it crept back up over the weekend thanks to no training and a high intake of beer, bread and cake

2 Likes

Not a fan of cows milk.

If its additional calories then makes sense it’s adding, especially if I’m right in thinking you’re not training super silly amounts at the moment. That said protein tends to promote fullness, so is often promoted as a way of eating less elsewhere.

I’m a big believer in suggestions that people doing heavy endurance exercise benefit from ~1.5g/kg, potentially up to 2g in very heavy training compared to average public needing 1-1.5g. Intake from various sources, and spread across multiple 20-40g sittings. Ideally around the 20g mark but can utilise higher amounts, and 8x20g isn’t always practical!

I get nearly all my 100-150g from food and little meat, but occasionally top up some porridge/yoghurt with an extra 10g. If work/training restricts time then a shake comes in handy once a week or so, but haven’t had one since June.

Otherwise I’m taking vitamin D for the first time this winter. With all supplements, and especially beyond those two you’re likely chasing inconsiquental effects compared to general diet, sleep, better training. Caveat being specific known deficiencies, eg B12 in vegans.

3 Likes

What @Chriswim said. 1.6 - 2 g/kg, I don’t eat much meat and use whey powder to up my protein intake. Not daily or immediately after each session but as an example I like to mix natural yoghurt with vanilla whey and fruit for breakfast or late night snack. I do like a carb killa bar as a sweet treat too.

I don’t supplement protein daily but i’ll have a shake after a tough or long session. My reasoning is that if I’ve put myself through the ringer I want to make sure I get all the benefits. I have a good diet though and I suspect its not necessary but just to be sure like.

Interesting views. Think I’m using too much protein via shakes.

If I start using My Fitness Pal again that should give me an idea of where I’m at.

Thanks for the input guys.

1 Like

maybe you should meet a nutritionnist who will be able to tell you if and what you eat according to your needs and objectives.
It is some sort of investment but then you will know exactly what to do and won’t be second guessing and eating supplements you don’t need

1 Like

This popped up on twitter and thought it was quite interesting.

Supplements sorted alphabetically on X axis, and scientifically proved benefit on Y axis. Size of bubble is popularity.

Can filter on intensity as well as other stuff.

Raw data here

9 Likes