Supplements/Protein

Never heard of this one.

FtyWIF1aIAAlkhd.jpeg~2

3 Likes

Get scraping bits off the trees in the Cotswolds after the rut! :joy: You could make a killing.

3 Likes

Didn’t they have a hit with “Venus in Furs” ?

1 Like

Missing the potion made from the pockets of the pocket fox too…

1 Like

So mostly caffeine, creatine and protein then. Interesting to see beetroot juice sneak in there. Even BCAA’s are the basis of protein aren’t they? I also thought beta-alanine had good support as well for specific high intensity exercise?

I did see Maurten now claim to have got a bicarb system that reduces side effects of the upset stomach. Expensive though even by their standards.

Bicarb System

The Maurten Bicarb System is an advanced sports fuel designed to help athletes push the boundaries of effort and power during high-intensity exercise.

So weird. I’d never heard of quercetin before Thursday then my physio recommended it for hayfever :woman_shrugging:t4: she can sometimes be a bit too far into alternate medicines, so looked it up, it’s really just vitamin c from what I’ve read. I already take vit c which is contentious in itself.

There are some weird ideas out there.

1 Like

I think it’s found in the skin of apples?

Coffee, milk and red meat.

Shocking :wink: If the raw data is true :wink: :wink:

1 Like

I read a bit about supplementing Creatine recently. Seems to be pretty well proven at least from a muscle building gym/weight lifting perspective. I’m kinda on the fence about it, having not tried it and the possibly unproven link to hair loss puts me off somewhat.

Creatine has tonnes of research behind it and is pretty well regarded as a worthwile supplement.

It has little benefit for triathlon though. Its use comes in weight lifting allowing you to to push those final reps. Its the top end heavy muscluar contraction that it benefits. Also the gym bros like it because it draws water into the muscle and gives a bigger pump.

3 Likes

Funnily enough I ordered a big bucket of protein at the weekend, having swapped Tri training for the gym 2 weeks ago.
£40 for 4kg (130 servings) from the Bodybuilding Warehouse (with a discount for signing up to their newsletter)
I remember using Creatine in my youth (when it first appeared - or at least became popular in bodybuilding) and it definitely blows your muscles up so everyone loved it, but it is only temporary, as iwaters says, it’s just water so goes as soon as you come off it again, not actual muscle gain.

3 Likes

40 notes for 4kg? Thats decent, the price of protein has gone up massively recently. I stocked up when Bulk had a 70% sale

2 Likes

£40 is really decent - I’ve just been buying the high5 1.6kg tubs for £25

1 Like

I’ve always used the Powerbar Recovery Active stuff. Not sure why. Probs just the first brand i tried all those years back so i’ve just stuck with it. I’m actually out so will take a look at that website see if there are any deals.

What’s the general consensus on these recovery powder type drinks. By that i mean in terms if the nutrient make up, as there’s no reason for me to stick with the Recovery Active .

I tend to use it after hard sessions only, as it’s easier and more accessible than having to rely on having milk or bananas or whatever in the house, and can take a bottle with me if training elsewhere.

Looking at that website they have their own BW brand pure whey 80 stuff, that’s £21 for a kg. The Powerbar stuff is about £19 for 1.2kg. However the Powerbar needs 55g per serving, but the BW stuff is only 25g.

So that takes it down to £11.50/kg vs £15/kg. Actually, it’ll be even less than that if i get the 20% code. Tempted to buy 2kgs or more to make the most of the discount and to be stocked up for the summer.

The BW stuff has 2 x the amount of protein, but next to no carbs vs 39g in the Powerbar. I’ve not looked into all the other micro stuff in there. Weirdly enough just came across a GTN cabs v protein for recovery post that was released yesterday. Might head over and give that a quick watch.

1 Like

This is the one I got:
The Bulk Protein Company Serious Protein - 4kg (bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk)

1 Like

Hmm, yeah that’s even cheaper per serving. Very ‘pure proteiny’ though as well. Guess it’d be easy enough to get the carbs in elsewhere.

I have no idea when it comes to all this! :rofl:

1 Like

If anyone does end up buying, us code MOBILE20 for 20% off.

1 Like

That’s why I just bought the high5 stuff. It’s a brand I’ve used a lot over the years and they’ve given me enough ‘free’ sachets of the stuff to know that I like it.

For me, chocolate is best, berries is ok but not as good, never tried the banana

2 Likes

Yeah same. The taste/flavours are all manufactured anyway. So choc seems to be the least offensive.

4kgs of that stuff @JaRok2300 posted for £36 is pretty bloody good value though!!! That’s 27p per serving vs. 86p on the High 5!

2 Likes