Swimming for Hammers and Spoons

This sounds hopeful :+1: and will definitely be better than just one arm. I think you’ll make the cut off whatever, so that’s good! Also don’t forget on the way back down the canal you’ll have a small current to help you (if I remember correctly) so it’s mainly the first half of the swim that will be the most stressful.

Extending is likely to be the reason he can’t use the arm.

I’m not seeing any solutions here Matt, only concerns you’ll already know about; exhaustion and safety. Consequently I’m trying to imagine the most efficient way to swim with one arm - regardless of speed.

Yeah this is what I’m thinking…without the paddle.

How good is your kick? (Mine is terrible)

2 Likes

Not the usual swimming featured here, but the ‘rescue’ photos at the bottom are something else.

• Fainting underwater! :astonished:
  • Coach making an impressive bee line for her.
5 Likes

to add to the theme of related unrelated, I finished coaching last night and the “underwater hockey” team started training. That is mental sport. Never seen it before except the odd clip on TV

3 Likes

Octopush, I’d never heard of it before until recently either. My niece’s boyfriend used to play, went to the world championships and everything.

1 Like

Is it me or is this event list a bit light?

About right, although theyve not put up Winter Champs which is usually October ish

1 Like

It’s also missing world champs which were this week.
So our elites have gone home champs in April, world’s June, commies July (they won’t do July GB champs).
Even that is too much for half of the peeps that did Tokyo, hence lots didn’t go to world’s (plus some injuries).

1 Like

A 16yr old, national level, in my club is off to Mount Kelly in September; GCSE results dependant, and they target 4 or 5 events a year and do very little else. Not like a normal club where you will compete every month minimum.

Was part of the Bill Sweetman changes when he came across and said we competed far too much in early 00s.

Suspect I was around 10 competitions a year, coming down to around 6 by age 18-20. 2 of those were taper meets.

Suspect a lot of sports might benefit from competing less, although sometimes the structure of finances/points doesn’t allow that.

How often do elite athletics/track cyclists race for comparison? I’d guess most athletics stars don’t race that much more than ~5x a year given how often I see headline news, but are they quietly racking up diamond leagues etc?

3 Likes

track cycling I know a bit, and many will do low key local track leagues but under gear , more like training with a number than competition. You get Revolution that is a few meets over winter and the world cups, 4 or 5 maybe. Revo is more like a national track league than really serious competition also. They don’t do all those WC’s either, unless the NGB needs points for Olympic Qualification.

Yeah - track cycling never seems to end!
Outdoor over summer, then Revolution indoor league, then the Monday night league.

Plus club rides Sunday, Thursday.
Zwift racing Tuesday/Wednesday.
Hills on Saturday.

I don’t know how people even see their family sometimes!!!

Anyways…swimming.
My pacing is terrible.
Did 20 x 100m off 1:50 today.
First 5 felt super easy at 1:28-1:32, so I wound it up a bit (erm, lot) to 1:18-1:24 for the next five.
I then became hotter than Outlaw 2013 and exploded like a supanova.
Next five were 1:27-1:32.
Before giving up the ghost and eking out 1:31-1:33 for the final five.

Any tips?
Each one was literally all over the place.
Absolutely no consistency or anything.
I was trying to keep up with someone for 6-10 :see_no_evil::joy:

any tips, dont do reps 6-10 above the second threshold with 30 seconds rest and expect not to blow up :wink:

those super easy would have been sub threshold and a good place to hold, that would have hurt after 15!

6 Likes

Track runners will depend on the events, but in general the top guys will do 2 or 3 ‘blocks’ of events, where they race 3 or 4 meets in quick succession, then take a few weeks out for training, then back again. If you are a middle distance runner you might run early season over or under distance as part of a training block.

I used to run club meets that would occasionally see some of the top sprinters turn up, but usually they would not run their main event.

1 Like

Went to club swim session yesterday as I wanted our coach to have a look at my swim in light of my shoulder injury. Apparently my swim technique has improved: In order to minimise the load on my shoulder, my body is using the deltoids less and lats more. Also my pull is much weaker, but I am feeling the water more. When I recover, will be interesting to see if I revert

I swam 1200m, I was able to keep up with the “slow lane” swimmers, around 1:45/100m, but it was uncomfortably fast. Drafting was also uncomfortable as the wake from the swimmer ahead put extra load on my shoulder at its weakest point

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Usyk

Swims for 5? Hours at a time…

Your all gay… as poet says !

AJ is ducked !

5 Likes

Did some fast 50s this morning.
Only 6 of them off 1:15
Hated them

4 Likes

I used to love fast repeats. I used to do them with a bit more rest so I was full to go. My favourite session used to be

4x100
4x50
4x25

All done at 100% effort.

I’m feeling like pool life is affecting me more than it has in the past, probably noticing it more because I’m doing it middle of the day and have to be back in the office.

Help with;

1. Hair like Doc from Back to the Future
  2. Coughing for about an hour after swimming
  3. Dry skin
  4. Sleepiness
1 Like