The address http://arhy.org/swim-predict should also work. I can’t link though.
I should probably rewrite it into modern JavaScript or an “app”.
The address http://arhy.org/swim-predict should also work. I can’t link though.
I should probably rewrite it into modern JavaScript or an “app”.
SDI 1.08 for me. Understandable given I’ve spent the last 6 weeks trying to re-discover some old swim speed and enjoyment. Time to go back to to the longer stuff 
Good CSS swim for me this evening…held 29s per length for 16x100 on 15s rest. Slow AF I know compared to some of you on here, but I’m pleased with it.
It was particularly pleasing that after 3 or 4 weeks of really working on stroke rate with a tempo trainer, this evening, my rate without a stroke rate beeping in my ear was a full 3 spm higher than a few weeks back… so higher rate seems to be bedding in.
Last couple of 100m reps were tough, but I wouldn’t have been even close to making that set at the end of the summer. I think the thing i’ve realised, as hinted by Hammerer earlier in this thread, is that the gains are going to come from consistent, long term work on a small number of things, and not a magical ‘click’ where I change something different every week and find the key to becoming Phelps.
I’m, as he described (in fairness as mostly being a PITA) an AOS who is comfortable at 2mins/100, and reads everything he can locate in order to find the ‘secret’… 
Trouble with swimming (at my level at least) is that fitness doesn’t really help that much
I’d say I’m further back than you, and where you are now is where I’m hoping to be in 6 months.
Interesting you mention increased stroke rate. I’ve always understood reducing stroke rate and making each stroke more efficient is the key. Clearly from this thread that’s not the case. Can I ask what SPM ( stroke per minute?) you are now swimming at?
Cheers
Okay, I know this is rewinding a little. But zooming-right-out for the newbies/lurkers et al and for a greater perspective of the basic elements of swimming Front Crawl faster.
Some of the most common mistakes or weaknesses…(please add/comment)
Technique fixes:
Breathing
Sinking legs
Poor catch (drop elbow early)
Poor pull (across centre line)
Too much gliding (not enough constant propulsion)
Looking up too much (legs drop, speed drops)
Training:
Not varying intensity enough
Avoiding longer sets/swims (i.e. 400+)
Misc:
Using swim aids/toys too much, like pull buoys & paddles.
Lack of rotation
not engaging core (took me about 2 years to understand what this meant)
Bringing arm out of water too early (that’s one of my many issues)
my take on it (but note, i’m no expert!) is that you can slow your stroke rate, seeking that elusive ‘efficiency’ to the point where you find yourself unintentionally gliding… paying really close attention, I found that I was hesitating at the front of my stroke, and after i’d extended my arm forward, I had a short pause before I initiated the catch… which is of course bad, as you slow a tiny amount and then your catch and pull has to reaccellerate you.
My natural stroke rate had become about 56 to 58 spm, and I’ve been working on getting that back up to 66. I chose 66 as I did a short test of speed at different rates until my technique became compromised by just swimming 50’s at increasing rates, with plenty of rest between. I haven’t however, just jumped to 66… I’ve been working on sets to increase it in a controlled manner… initially Hammerers 10x50 at increased rate, then 5x100, gradually adding more reps, and slowly moving the SR up a beat at a time. I’ve also thrown in some sets like 5x500 starting at 60spm, and increasing by one beat for each 500…
My main aim has been to avoid changing my stroke too much, so have had to do a lot of drills on rotation, catch and pull to keep me honest.
On the subject of ‘why increase stroke rate?’… I just watched loads of FOP triathletes as evidence… they nearly ALL have a high stroke rate… that isn’t coincidence!
Secretly, i’ve really enjoyed this process, as firstly its given me some focus in the pool, rather than endless dull miles, and secondly of course, i’m seeing improvements, which always helps!
NOT SWIMMING ENOUGH!
Once or twice per week ain’t gonna cut the mustard.
You can have 4W/kg on the bike, but if you’re taking over 90 minutes to haul your ass out of the water, you ain’t gonna be able to churn that out on the pedal section.
(pOst script: I was tired this morning and didn’t swim)
Yeah, my 1500 straight last week was 66spm, and so was my 16x100 on Monday! The difference is propulsive force I guess, hence the faster times in the intervals.
I feel that this should have been directed at me ![]()
FTFY
NO!
It actually wasn’t…I went from a 90 minute swimmer, 6 hour bike - to sub hour 5hr 20mins.
I reckon that was the swimming being able to execute the bike better.
which is why i don’t do much “CSS” work until its time to dial in that race pace. It gets you good at swimming badly, its basically increasing the engine but as you end up doing half of it with ever increasing fatigue you end up muscling through to the end and not concentrating on form
that depends! 2 ways to get faster, increase distance of every stroke or take more strokes, If you are taking over 20 strokes for a 25m pool then working on form a and efficiency will likely bring bigger gains.Another thing I originally took from @SolarEnergy which I’ve also seen from other swim coaches used to good effect is intentionally lowering the stroke rate to build power and improve your proprioception. Solar used to set the nome to 48SPM but basically as long as you are around 20SPM below your usual stroke rate it can work well. (as some of you are closer to 58 than 68SPM!)
So that’s about 1 stoke per metre in a 25m pool then; assuming you have a half-decent push/streamline off the wall.
I just tried a little experiment, I have no idea if it has any value at all.
When I swim I sometimes like to think of the water as a solid, so instead of pushing water backwards, I’m sticking my arm in it and dragging my body past my arm.
I just did that using the edge of a desk as the entry point and walked past (bent over at the waist) until I was where my arm would come out of the water. It was about 1m, maybe a touch more.
E.T.A I work in an office on my own 
yes minimum. most people should be able to get below 20 easily with some focus
For technique always think BLABT - body position, legs, arms, breathing, timing in that order
body position is the single biggest issue in swimming, reduce drag, go faster. You wouldn’t go fast with an FTP of 400 if you ride a vicars bike!
In the water always revert to Newtons 3rd law. The only propulsion you want is forwards, how do you maximise that.
Never “finish the stroke” thats a triathletes thing. homework : stand upright, using one arm replicate the vertical forearm, high elbow catch and perform the stroke. exit at the thigh. What happens to your paddle and what does the hand do on exit and what would that cause. Think Newton! Then exit at the waist, what happens to your paddle and how can the hand now exit.
We sometimes do a session where we draw a spot on the palm of each hand. If the spot isn’t pointing backwards, you’re not going forwards. Either your hand is travelling in the wrong direction or it’s twisting and knifing through the water. It’s not rocket science but a useful reminder every now and again.