Tax credit for WFH

Does it tell you about the stealth 60% band that you hit at £100k when you have to start giving back your tax free allowance? :open_mouth:

No.
Nor does it tell you that when you go back above £123k, it goes back down to 40%.

It really hits the middle earners hard that stealth tax, you have to feel for them, don’t you?

£100k a year.

Middle earners?

I hope you are jesting with us @Poet

2 Likes

If you factor in the loss of childcare benefits (tax free childcare and 30 hours free childcare) there is literally no point earning between 100k and 110k

2 Likes

So £100k are definitely not middle earners but it’s hard to run a house with kids in/near London if you don’t have what most would consider a huge salary.

Yes, I know that you can move away from London…

1 Like

But there are an awful lot of people on a lot less than that in London still!

I don’t know what the median wage is, but isn’t national average like £22k or so?

And i think you mean it’s hard to run a house in the manner that you (and most of us on here) are used to?! 2 cars, tri bikes, kids clubs, nice extensions etc etc.

It’s still quite a stretch to suggest that that is anywhere near middle surely?

I think median for London is around £35k and yes, lot’s do run a house on a lot less. Things like childcare and housing costs in London mean that lower earners (even median earners) have to seriously compromise e.g. flats which are too small for their family and unofficial childcare. I’m deliberately not including luxuries or optional spend as all/lots on here have chosen Tri which is far from a cheap hobby…

I don’t think I’ll need to worry about either of those figures, don’t even think our Director is on £100k, or at least it wasn’t advertised at that much.

1 Like

absolutely, i’m not suggesting it’s easy at all.

Just even the notion of £100k being a middle earner, to my ears, sounds absolutely crazy.

2 Likes

It’s £123k - you can put the additional into your pension to avoid any “stealth” taxes.

Anyway @gingerbongo mentioned yesterday that this thread would turn into “outing” people, so I was making a joke :stuck_out_tongue:

Median take home salary, according to Rishi, was/is £2,500 - which is why 80% furlough was set at that.
You cannot use a average, as the few massively high earners (or massively large group of low earners) skews the result.
So…what you do, is lay out every single salary in a line, and pick the one in the middle (the median)

Median wage for the UK is £22k
Median wage for central London is £34k

Teesside University Associate Dean/Deputy Director Salary is in the region of £72-£75k

Now that I’ve suitably stirred the pot, I’ll go back to work :wink:

2 Likes

I’m not one of those!

shit stirrer

I think £70k put you in top 10% but top 1% take a lot lot more.

3 Likes

What skews it, and massively annoys me, are the 2 x £43k earning households being a lot better off than the £64k+£22k earning household. That is ridiculous!

4 Likes

it is nice to be fortunate to be annoyed about things like that :wink:

You’d be amazed by how little £500k buys you in London and don’t even think about looking at the “nice” areas :open_mouth: . We bought our house over 20 years ago and it was a stretch for us back then. I’m earning significantly more now and house prices have accelerated away from earning so quickly that there’s no way I’d be able to afford our house now if we were starting again.

Obviously that’s the choice we make and prices drop off quickly when you head out of London, but then in “normal” times you have to deal with the commute.

Well no!

I take your comment with the pinch of salt it’s intended.

However I also take the bait. I grew up on hand-me-downs and hand outs so I’ve worked bloody hard to get £60k+ salary, but the country is rewarding mediocrity. I’m more than happy to pay my tax! I use the roads and facilities provided but I have no kids of my own and I stay fit and healthy so I’m also not a burden on the system. So I am a massive supporter of single rate tax. 30-40% tax for everyone. Single value. Everyone understands. You earn more, you pay more simple.

Why should my partner and I be penalised because 1 of us earns more!?

4 Likes

yep it’s a complex situation for sure. But we are all incredibly privileged in the grander scheme of things, both within the UK and internationally. I don’t think there are many people on this forum wondering about how to pay their bills. We’re moaning about upper tax income thresholds! :rofl: (well not me! haha).

Where i am in the SW wages are low. But house prices are still pretty high. My wife and i have decent jobs, but we found it very difficult to scrape together our deposit to buy our tiny little house (again relative, but it is pretty small). I don’t know how we are going to upgrade from this house, as where i live there’s a massive gap from ‘starter’ homes to proper family homes. I’m not going to suddenly be able to afford a house double the price of mine (which isn’t far off what i’d need). I’m also incredibly unlikely to make any significant jumps in my salary now. I’ll hopefully keep ticking up for the next few years, but i won’t see any major move. Not unless i move to private sector or get a job that is based way out of the area. But tbf, that’s not me. I’ve got to a salary a lot higher than i ever expected, and that’s cool with me.

2 Likes

On that note. I’ll get back to my job application for the IAEA/UN and its tax free salary :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Go for it!

My FiL worked for the UN and his pension is very generous and he can have it paid to ay country in the world and it will be index linked to that country’s inflation rate. He’s also got free private medical insurance for him and my MiL until the day they die.

I totally understand.

For your example, it’s £120 per month extra, without pension contributions.
They converge at around 12-13% pension contributions, with the higher earner also getting more tax relief, so easier for them to accrue a larger pension quicker (just gotta make sure that the pension salary isn’t higher rate when it comes to drawdown time)

1 Like