That Peloton Ad

depends on the gym. when we lived in Eastbourne we used the University gym and of the 4 rowers it was sometimes hard to get a seat on one as they were in pretty much constant use. shame mose users couldn’t row to save their lives - shit techniques mostly.

you’re probably right - Concept don’t need to worry that much as their target market is not the home user in the main. a Peloton rower will appeal to a different audience. be interesting to see how it prices against a C2 as well

2 Likes

Frequently used at the local Virgin, but not as much as the treadmills

I reckon the average time that an individual used a rowing machine at my gym pre-lockdown was less than 5 minutes. Most people seem to get on, push the resistance up to the hardest setting, bat up and down at an unsustainable rate, blow up and then stop because it’s all too hard.

Rowing on the water is a very technical sport - get it wrong and you end up getting wet very quickly. Rowing on a machine is less technical, but you do need a reasonable amount of technique to do it efficiently. To put it simply, you are trying to put as much force through the handle as you can to accelerate the wheel and then keep it spinning, but the sequence of movements to do that efficiently is not particularly natural and needs to be taught. Sadly most gym instructors don’t know how to row properly so neither do most gym users.

Someone tried to start a brand of rowing based exercise classes a few years ago (Crew Class?), but I don’t think it ever really took off For an IRL class you at least had the benefit of an instructor on hand to teach technique, which you obviously wouldn’t have with Peloton. You are pretty limited by what you can do on a rowing machine for a class - high stroke rate, low stroke rate, increase and decrease resistance?

Rowing Zwift could be interesting because you could recreate classic courses like the Tideway, Henley or the Charles River, but it would just be giving you some pretty pictures to look at and not varying much in the experience. You don’t get hills on a river! Would you show a cox’s eye view of the course (forward) or a rower’s eye view (backwards). If the latter then you’ll only see other users after you’ve overtaken them or as they close up on you.

Regarding peleton, a friend i run with bought one. He uses it a bit & his wife and teenage kids use it a lot.

One advantage is how user friendly it is across the ages, and how quick to adjust between users.

I had a go in it & thought it was OK, less bikey than a real bike but Ok.

exactly that - shocking how poor gym instructors are on rowers.

also just seen this - https://exrgame.com

looks like Concept (and other brands) are tying up with this virtual rowing experience maybe to head off the intro of Peloton to the market?? might appeal to the more social rower but not sure the diehards will see much value in it.

1 Like

And Just Like That Peloton resurrects show character - BBC News

So, the producers of the Sex and the City reboot asked Peloton if they could feature one of their bikes in the show and they agreed without getting clarity on how the bike was going to be featured.

It turns out that one of the main characters has a heart attack while using the bike and dies, causing the Peloton share price to plummet :rofl:

11 Likes

When the marketing guy who is responsible for product placement goes from Hero to Zero in 2 mins of airtime.

3 Likes

Imagine a load of the senior management all watching the show together,

Look there it is, well done Brad

“person dies”

Fuck sake Brad, what have you done

5 Likes

“Hi, is this Greenfields Recruitment? yeah, my name’s Brad and I’m thinking of changing agencies…”

6 Likes

Says a lot about the shareholders too.

2 Likes

I’ve had a go on a Peloton.

I’m going to say it, it’s a decent workout.

No, I didn’t not have a watermelon infused water or wear anything from Lululemon, but I can see the appeal for a leyman.

2 Likes

Did you smash it?

2 Likes

#gains

2 Likes

FIFY

2 Likes

It’s all going well at Peloton then :roll_eyes:

Peloton boss John Foley to step down as firm axes 2,800 jobs - BBC News

1 Like

Just sent that to my wife :exploding_head:
Amazing fall from grace

1 Like

You’ve got to think that in the long term it’s a subscription business, not a hardware business.

3 Likes

everything will be a subscription business soon.

1 Like

And yet Zwift are trying to get into hardware.

I remember DCRainmaker saying we will look back on the days of $15/month subs as a fond memory in a few years. His view that home workout subs will be in-line with gym subs before long.

3 Likes