The 4w/kg thread

Interesting comment. I felt exactly the same when I did one on Thursday. I breezed through the 20mins, setting an all time best, but that final few minutes to the finish seemed to last an eternity

Not got a power meter so have to rely on Trainerroadā€™s probably elevated numbers but current ftp of 323 makes me 3.8W/kg so not too far away now! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Did the same one this morning - I found the middle was the killer, last few minutes you just know you can hang on. Didnā€™t pace it super well - had enough left to go 500w for the last 30 secs. Will go out next time c. 380w and hang on.

Went 380w for the 26 mins, so for the 20 min FTP Iā€™m there. Exactly to the watt.

Zwift does tell me that Iā€™m at 360w for their calculated FTP for the hour. So, if I can get down to 90kg and not lose power Iā€™ve got the 4kg/ hour OK.

The boss has given me a challenge - to beat the boathouse record for 30 mins. That stands at 407w.

PM - Garmin Vector 3 single side.

9 Likes

So, a bump in my ftp, according to Zwift last night, now gives me a 4.13w/kg :grinning:

Iā€™ve got a TR ramp test in two weeksā€™ time, so that will give me confirmation and might even move it a bit further north.

10 Likes

Welcom @altayloraus

Thats big power, you should do well on Zwift Time Trials, where power trumps over light weight. Would be great to get that boathouse record, altough the bar seems pretty high at 407w

Iā€™m still hovering at 290w which gives me 3.7w/kg.

Somehow Iā€™ve managed to keep my FTP but weirdly drop my weight since Extreme X was cancelled. Not clue how that flippin works as I am eating less regulated (/more), training less, and no longer commute by bike (10k/day). Might simply be that those Aldi lunches and afternoon work snacks add up to a lot more than I thought?

1 Like

Managed over 25 minutes at 4.0 average during a Zwift TT on Saturday so just another 35 minutes to find!

3 Likes

Think TrainingPeaks is messing with me, new FTP from Zwift test: 296w @ 74kg = 4w/kg. TrainingPeaks says it was 295w. Which is 3.99w/kg. :rofl:

Still, itā€™s progress. That is also despite a few missed sessions and a couple of glasses of red last night.

9 Likes

Iā€™ll go OK, but I had a chat to one of my mates whoā€™s put together a team for the WTRL Thursday league. They had one guy go 445 watts for it.

They went fast enough that the race organisers contacted Dave to ask, OK, who ARE you guys? Bunch of world champ medallist rowers, basically!

Take a massive dump and a hot bath then re-weigh and welcome to the 4 W/kg club :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get the having a poo bit, but how would this make you weigh less? Wouldnā€™t you absorb (a small amount of) water through the skin when soaked in bath water, and thus be heavier?

Donā€™t absorb through the skin, and will sweat out a lot more even if you could absorb few ml.

True, forget about the sweat, and guess that would dominate.

I thought the reason you wrinkle up when lying in water is because of water absorption at the surface of the skin? Although as above, I can accept that will be minimal compared to any sweat loss. But if that was the goal, why not just go sit in a sauna?

It was the specific suggestion of the bath that originally confused me. But maybe that was simply because of its likely availability versus a sauna!

I like very hot baths! Even when I drink a litre of water in the bath I still emerge a little dehydrated for a couple of hours afterwards. Funny you mention saunas - Iā€™d love a sauna in the house but the bath will have to suffice. You can get garden saunas but Ā£Ā£Ā£.

I believe not - skin is waterproof. The wrinkling reaction iirc is a left over gene when increasing the surdace area in water was useful.

Happy to be corrected though.

1 Like

That does seem to be the current thinking, Scientific American Article

People often assume that wrinkling is the result of water passing into the outer layer of the skin and making it swell up. But researchers have known since the 1930s that the effect does not occur when there is nerve damage in the fingers.

Bold bit added by me, because that is the most interesting thing Iā€™ve read today. Itā€™s still pretty early, but I find that quite interesting. Oooh, itā€™s going to be a wild Thursday waiting to see if that gets topped!

5 Likes

Interesting. Thanks

This really is getting into the weeds of reaching 4W/KG, very Slowtwitch. Just go ride more!

1 Like

That is interesting!

Enjoy your Thursday:

Interesting Facts